How do I become a software engineer?

Updated Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Lev’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Apart from the traditional route via a computer science degree, you can:

• start learning to code now
  • share the projects you build
  • help people around you with software development needs: businesses, artists, non-profits, and many other kinds of organizations could use your skills
  • you now have experience writing software and applying it in the world and can be hired as a professional software engineer

Kevin’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

There are actually ways to become a software engineer outside of the traditional process of getting a computer science degree --> work at a software engineering internship --> get a job after graduation.

In my case, I was a teacher before I became a software engineer. I was lucky enough to join an early-stage startup where I could teach myself how to code and learn on the job under a mentor. However, my case is usually pretty rare.

If you decide to become a software engineer after already having graduated or already working in a different field, a very popular option is to enroll in a coding "bootcamp" to get that foot in the door. A bootcamp is a very condensed crash course in the basics of software engineering to get you ready for an industry job.

Bhabani’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

1)Earn a degree in computer science or a related field.Begin programming i.ePython, C,C++, Java

2)Study data structures and algorithms.

3)Seek an internship.

4)Find job opportunities.

Daniel’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

Primary way to do this is through a Computer Science degree at university (bachelor, master, etc). It'll require background in math, good foundation in thinking logically, and the ability to program.