Will having a minor in a foreign language benefit an accounting major?

5

Jillian’s Answer

Have any foreign language background will help you in any occupation you go into. It's a great skill to have and opens many doors.

1

Jillian’s Answer

Having a minor in foreign languages will help you in any field you pick your career in. Some jobs offer a bonus or a larger compensation to speak a different language. This is something you can carry with you wherever you go and teach your children at a young age.

0

Yvonne’s Answer

Hi Allie,

Having a minor in a foreign language certainly benefit an Accounting major! I am currently working for a large multinational Accounting firm called PwC. Many of the clients I have worked with are globalized and hence offer various opportunities for us to travel internationally for work. In an increasingly globalized economy, many companies view candidates who know a second language valuable as they need employees who can communicate and develop relationships with customers or business leaders from another country. I would imagine having a minor in foreign language can only help you advance your career opportunities!

Now I am not sure if you have a foreign language in mind that you are going to minor in, but I would recommend choosing a language that are in demand.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

I concur with my PwC colleague above. You may travel on a work related project to a foreign country and speaking the language can only help you. Furthermore you may be able to transfer to an overseas branch if you work for a large company given your language skill (i.e. PwC US---> PwC China). Austin L.

0

Lauren’s Answer

Yes, having a foreign language background is beneficial in any career field, especially the ones under business (like accounting). If you want to work internationally, or work with international clients in the future, being able to speak another language, with that minor to support it, will make you a better candidate. Although you may have earned that minor, I suggest that you continue working on perfecting your expertise on the language because you may be able to have typical conversations in a foreign language, but in a professional setting, you may not be as advanced. But ultimately, being bilingual can benefit you as an accountant, depending on your specific service line and the exposure the firm has.

Lauren recommends the following next steps:

Pursue your foreign language minor
If possible, study abroad in the country that speaks the language
Research firms where your minor will benefit you most while being an accountant

0

Gabriela’s Answer

Hi Allie,

Having a minor in a foreign language will definitely help you in your career in accounting. I would suggest learning the language well enough to speak and read it. They will want to see that you just don't have the language on paper but that you actually know it.

0