Do any current accountants/future accountants have any good advice for someone looking to go into that major?

Updated Tupelo, Mississippi

Alisa’s Answer

Accounting is a great major, which provides a lot of options for your future. I studied accounting and IT and can say I never regret my decision. Public accounting is a great place to start, but it is not the most thrilling/ enjoyable job. However, a few years in public accounting is a great pathway into a leading corporate position or finance. It is also an extremely stable job and always has a high hiring percentage (you are likely to graduate with a job). Additionally, if a student maintains outstanding grades many of the financial positions will be available to you as a graduate. It is a fantastic major decision and will provide many options for your future.

Kristi’s Answer

I have a couple thoughts: I would first ask yourself why you are considering accounting as your major. Can you see yourself working in a fast paced environment that thrives on learning every day and thinking critically? Accounting is the language of business; accordingly, it's applicable to every business out there. I personally chose to major in accounting (and information systems) for these reasons. Also, public accounting/auditing isn't your only option with an accounting major, though it's one of the more common ones. You can also go into finance or certain consulting jobs!

I would love to add onto this advice - I completely agree with everything mentioned above. I would have to say that it provides you a top of the line background in financial understanding that many may not have even after graduating from a business background. Further, I find it great for expanding your opportunities after finishing your CPA designation as it gives you a leg-up from others looking for their next job.

Joshua’s Answer

Updated Salt Lake City, Utah
I never thought I would end up being an accountant. Accounting is less about being good at math and em solving, being detail oriented, and following the rules. I have always referred to accounting at "law for money". It is our job to make sure things are done correctly with money. It is very fun!

Marissa’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

Hi Allie,

This is a great question, and something I struggled with as well when I was trying decide what to major in. I always thought I would follow in my dad's footsteps and end up in the finance industry. However, I took some introductory business classes and found I had a knack for accounting - and liked it! I ended up majoring in Accounting and minoring in finance. I have worked for 3+ years at PwC, one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I've had the opportunity within the firm to look at core tax and specialized tax consulting, and I think the opportunities are endless at big firms where there are many facets to discover. Accounting in general is a great field and something you will always carry with you, best of luck!