How do I create a resume?

Asked Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I've never had a job before #first-job

Andrea’s Answer

Updated Raleigh, North Carolina
Great advice above! A few additions: - if you have a linkedin profile, add that link - you can highlight any relevant coursework from college - when you are writing about your experience, aim to have 3 bullet points per experience. Use action words and if possible include details or outcomes (for example, Trained 5 new employees on the accounting system) - only include an Objective if you tailor it for each company you apply to. A generic one does more to detract from your resume than enhance it.

Angela’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Clara,

Your resume gives potential employers an overview of your education, work experience and skills. I would start by googling for resumes to see the different types of formats and styles that exist.

Create a word document that contains:

• your name
  • contact information: email, phone number
  • education: high school, college (include major)
  • experience: any employment experience and include your title, the start and end dates and a brief description of your role there. If you never had a job before, I would include extracurricular activities that you participated in and any volunteer experience.
  • skills: list any skills, which could include programs like Word, Excel or soft skills like time management, communication and leadership

Good Luck!