What are the job prospects of someone graduating with a product design major?

2

I am thinking of majoring in product design at my college. It seems very interesting and hopefully I take interest in it, but I was wondering what are the job prospects of someone graduating with this degree? Will I be able to find a job in this field after college? If there are many jobs out there for people with this degree, how will I be able to make myself stand out from the rest and land that job? Lastly, if I pursue a career in this field, how much can I expect my career goals to grow from a beginner entry-level position in product design? #job-search #job #design #product-design

2

Angela’s Answer

0

Hi Kayla,

There are many positions for product designers. There are product designers that create physical products by making 3D models of furniture, jewelry and other items. There are designers that focus on digital software and applications. And there are designers that make the packaging and define the brand for users. This industry is very broad so I would recommend taking classes and see what kind of products you are interested in building.

I am an Experience Designer so my role consists of creating product designs and completing research for digital products. With whichever field you are interested in, it is necessary for you to make a portfolio. I would recommend getting an internship while you are still in school so you can attain some experience, add a project to your portfolio and make connections with people in industry. While you are studying make side projects. I would start off by thinking, "If I were to make this product myself how would I create it?" and make a case study for your work. Showing side projects will definitely help you land a position.

Angela recommends the following next steps:

• Take a variety of classes in product design to find what area you are interested in
  • Get internship experience
  • Make a portfolio
0

Sheri’s Answer

0

Hey Kayla! It depends on what industry your product belongs to. I work in technology and there are tons of product related jobs both in terms of software and hardware. To stand out I would recommend you find whatever problem exists with that product and how to solve that issue. Product design can encompass a wide variety of career paths from software design (User Interface/Virtual Reality) to smart home products (cars, Alexa, Nest) and cool new bubble gum machines.

Sheri recommends the following next steps:

• Observe the world around you and think how did this product get here? As yourself does that interest you.
  • Think of problems in your life and how they can be solved or automated. Think outside of the box!
0