Do I have what it takes to get into Cornell?

3

hey so I am in this small university in halifax called saint mary's , although I am a good student I didn't apply to any other canadian universities since I am an international student and ivy league universities are so expensive and there isn't much financial aid provided and there is no way I can afford university of toronto or others ,suppose I get great gpa all through the four years of my bachelor of science in biology , and have a good volunteer record , do you think a university like cornell would accept a non-ivy league undergraduate like me ? I am very passionate about what I am studying and have always wanted to be a vet and go to cornell. #undergraduate #veterinary-medicine #bachelors-degree #requirements #cornell

3

Ollie’s Answer

2

It sounds like you're considering Cornell's graduate program in veterinary medicine.

Are you a realistic candidate? Take the Graduate Record Exam along with the Biology specialty. You can also take the Medical College Admission Test.

Then, when you have your scores in hand, call them and ask them. They'll tell you. At the graduate level, admission decisions are more straightforward than for undergraduates. There isn't as much focus on Chess Club type stuff.

They probably don't get many applicants from Nova Scotia, so they may not know a lot about the St. Mary's biology program. That's OK, though. If one of your professors can take time to write a letter of recommendation that explains the program, you'll help them evaluate you fairly. You can also write a letter yourself explaining the program.

One tip: don't let your heart become too fond of one vet school. They don't have enough places for everybody who wants to be a vet, so you may not get in to your first choice. I had a college pal who wanted to go to vet school. But she didn't get in so she had to settle for (human) medical school.

Thank you so much. yes, that is the main goal , I am still in my first semester of the very first year but I want to set goals and work according to it and keeping what you said in mind, I will definately apply to other vet schools. To be honest, I can't join too many clubs and learn new things and win olympiads just for the sake of it which is why I am happy I don't need to get that deep into extra curricular but yes I volunteer with PETA and I would continue that and also take the Graduate Record Test like you said. Can you tell me when can one take the test, is it once I have completed my Bachelor of Science ? M D.
Don't forget, food-animal farmers employ many veterinarians, and provide funding to a lot of vet schools. Don't beat them about the head and shoulders with PETA when you apply! Ollie Jones
hahah alright :) M D.
2

Sabrina’s Answer

2

First you will need to determine the schools admission requirements and what degree program you are interested in studying at Cornell. Once you have spoken with the admissions to see if you meet their minimum requirements for acceptance, then it is up to you and your desire and passion to meet those benchmarks (i.e. test scores, essay, gpa, and student leadership/involvements). If you do not meet their benchmark scores then you need to decide how you will improve your scores or what ever you are lacking to meet their standards or find another school that fits your academic, personal, career goals better.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much M D.
2

Olivia’s Answer

2

From what I've seen from my friends and peers, to get into Cornell you need the following
Good grades (AP's or dual enrollment classes help)
Great SAT Scores
Leadership experience for at least 1 year
Something Special*

*this is hard to explain but here are examples of things I've seen that were special
Placing/getting awards at Science Fairs, science olympiad, 1st robotics etc.
Having large amounts (50+ hours) volunteering experience with one specific program (extra points if you can show you built the program more or contributed extra to it instead of only participating)
Starting your own company
Having worked in a university research lab for a summer internship or semester internship (be able to speak about the work you did)
Having some unique hobby that takes skills you've really developed and can talk about

Outside of these things, a very strong application take advantage of the "who is someone you admire" essay to find someone who was very unique and helped show you to be "as" unique. ex: Ellen Ochoa because , she is a female, hispanic american, who also wanted to pursue technology even though she enjoyed playing music ( ex: you play clarinet in the school band for 7 years before it was time to apply to college) She plays the flute. Here's a blurb:
http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/hispanic/ochoa.htm
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage! Meet Ellen Ochoa - Scholastic
teacher.scholastic.com
Try to make things as unique and strong as possible since Cornell has more highly qualified applicants than they can accept.

Hope all this helps!

I have actively worked with PETA and I am looking forward to do that in summer when I go back home to India, I am not much of a music person and I would try what I could to prove I am capable of learning new things. Thanks for your reply :) M D.
2