I am an undergraduate student majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Nonprofit Organizational Leadership with high hopes of becoming a lawyer. I would highly appreciate any tips to execute the LSAT and what looks good on a resume for law school. Thank you!

Jennifer’s Answer

Updated Arlington, Virginia

Hi and congratulations on picking a career path! I took the LSAT 20 years ago and I’m sure things have changed but when I took it, I prepared by taking a lot of practice tests. If there are schools that don’t require it, that would be a good option too. As far as what looks good to law schools, I think the nice thing about law is that there are people from all different backgrounds and college majors. For instance I was a math major and my friend was a music major in undergrad. I think a lot of the schools obviously look at grades but also take life experiences into consideration as well. Try to emphasize to the schools what your strengths are and your reasons for wanting to go into law. It sounds to me, from your interest in nonprofits, that perhaps you are considering a law career in the nonprofit or public sector world. If that is the case, I think that is great, and that could be something to share on your applications. Good luck! Also if you ever have the chance to extern/intern/work for a judge, I highly recommend. It is a great way to see the legal system and a wide variety of cases.

Xiao’s Answer

Hi Yanet,

The great thing about law school is that you can literally major in anything and still be an amazing candidate for law school!

The LSATs can be daunting, but you should remember that they are like any other standardized tests! The same skills you used for the SATs are still directly transferable to approaching the LSAT (i.e. lots of practice, context, familiarity with the exam will be extremely helpful).

I would make a list of the schools you want to attend and look at what the statistics are and ranges for their first year class. This will help you gauge the scores, GPA, backgrounds of the individuals who were admitted and also what you'll want to aim for!

Best,

Xiao

Sheryl T. Smikle,’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hello, what a great background. The LSAT, like many standardized tests, are optional for some law programs. You might want to consider those schools, which are generally competitive. If you take the LSAT, I always recommend taking a test prep course. I am very fond of Kaplan as I worked for the founder while in high school and after college graduation.

Sheryl T. Smikle, recommends the following next steps:

• Investigate colleges that require the LSAT and those that waive it. Look into a test prep program.
  • Take the LSAT diagnostic if you are skeptical about test prep. See if you score a 24 or better.