Does majoring in science increase your chances of getting into medical school later on?

5

I'll be majoring in Biochemistry as a freshman at Northeastern University next year. I truly love the sciences, and I want to know how to become a better candidate for med school.
#stem #women-in-stem #medicine #biochemistry #biochem #doctor #healthcare -school #science

5

0
Pick a major that interests you. Good grades and high MCAT are more important than the specific major. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.

Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses.

Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
0

0
Major in whatever field interests you and will allow you to maintain an excellent GPA. I majored in Spanish literature and had no trouble with my med school applications. You do need to complete the pre-med requirements, preferably with A’s. These include at least a year of biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry. Your junior year, you will need to take an MCAT study course prior to taking the MCAT. With a solid GPA and MCAT score, you should be a competitive applicant.
0

Dennis’s Answer

0

Yes. Science is the foundation of medicine. It's not everything, but if you are good at science you are more likely to be good at medicine. That being said, a certain amount of human empathy and awareness goes a long way as a physician as well. Being a physician is a hard life. Make sure that is what you really want.

0

Vibin’s Answer

0

Yes,It is possible to study some courses of medical field related to biochemistry but You have to study biology science for getting admission for MBBS

0

Roopa’s Answer

0

Yes, its needed

0