How was your first fashion show?

Updated Lexington, Texas

Emilia J.’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

It was very exciting but also very nerve-wracking at the same time! The first fashion show I worked at was when I presented my graduate collection at Graduate Fashion Week in London. The room was buzzing full of models, make-up artists and fellow students trying to make sure that the models that we were assigned had all the right accessories and were styled in the way we wanted. So, you can imagine that you have to keep your cool under pressure - this would be my number one tip - be calm!

Be observant as well! Even if you have the job of dressing one model, if you are aware of your surroundings - what the stylist and designer are looking for, if a model is lost or is looking for the outfit she has to wear - you are demonstrating your professionalism and attention to detail - very important in your fashion career!

The following article gives some great insights into how the backstage of a fashion show operates: https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/backstage-behind-the-scenes-of-a-fashion-show/2015100517885

Definitely see if you can intern and take part in fashion shows! You will get some great hands-on experience!

Emilia J. recommends the following next steps:

• Research and take part in internships that involve helping out at a fashion show.
  • Stay calm backstage and be observant! Attention to detail is also key!

Ana Cristina’s Answer

I worked as a Media and Public Relations Coordinator for the Fashion Community Week here in San Francisco. I didn't know the amount of work that needed to be done was going to be that big. From research to outreach fashion designers and models, set up the venues, etc.

The fashion week lasted 4 days and at the end of each day I was really happy because all the hard work actually worked perfectly. The guests were happy with the shows and all of them were sold out. It is very interesting to work with such a diverse team and to learn from them in several aspects.