What are some things to do as I prepare to take courses for marriage and family counseling?

When I say things to do, I mean how to personally prepare myself. In terms of mentally; maybe volunteer programs that could give me an idea of what I might be getting into, open internships; anything that could give me some tangible experience; or even just some advice. #internship #mftgradschool #marriage-family therapist #marriage-family counseling #counseling # therapist #psychology #gradschool

3

Wow. I have to agree with the previous answer! In hindsight, I realize how much more I would have gotten out of my college education if only I had some life experience first! Just trying to grasp everything going on between a couple, without kids, is hard enough. Adding kids makes it even harder.

If this is going to be your career, I would recommend you understand financial basics. Live on your own, try to make it without running up a credit card or borrowing money. Yes, even on a low paycheck. Reality is a cruel, cold world. Money is one of the biggest stressors in a relationship. When people live paycheck to paycheck, and things happen, everything falls apart. Car breaks down, they can't get to work, they lose their job. Or, because they live in a cheap rented house, they find themselves without hot water, and blame each other. . . etc etc etc. Being "an adult" is not nearly as fun as we envisioned it as teenagers! And then, for people who do have a little extra, they need to learn how to manage it. Unfortunately, they tend to buy the most expensive house they can get approved for, and that leaves them no wiggle room. Then they each blame the other for their "joint" decision to buy the house. . . So, even the affluent are "poor."

Just as a personal note: I came up in a "middle class" family. My ex was from a "Working class" family. I was taught "save, save, save!" He, on the other hand, was fatalistic. He believed there was no hope - he would have to work until the day he died, and therefore did not have any interest in saving for retirement. I would save, he would spend what I had saved. . . leading to the next biggest issue, which is "power" within the relationship. But you can learn that in school.

0

G. Mark’s Answer

Get married. Or spend a lot of time talking with married folks and families. Book studying alone is not enough to "walk in their moccasins".

0

Alice’s Answer

Marriage and family counseling are general topics for tertiary education. You can consider doing volunteer work on marriage and family related program. Get to know people. Look at books like 5 Language of love, request for interview session with a marriage counsellor.

Alice recommends the following next steps:

Be clear on why you want to take these courses. Be clear on what you want to be after you graduate.
Speak to marriage counsellor about their job duties and the challenges they meet.

0