Would a language minor (Chinese) go well with a finance major?

5

I've been studying Chinese for a few years and am planning on at least minoring in it and was wondering how well it would go with a finance degree. Can it be useful, and in what types of careers/jobs #finance #business ?

5

Matt’s Answer

0

Those two areas are very distinct and separate; they are not dependent on one another (You can be good at finance without speaking Chinese and visa versa). I would recommend your minor be a complement to your major. Finance & Accounting, Finance & Economics, Finance & Strategy, or Finance & Real Estate pair well together because knowledge in one can enhance the other and help differentiate you from peers.

Matt recommends the following next steps:

• Speak with your professors to get some additional advice.
  • Keep learning!
0

Francis’s Answer

0

I've lived in Japan for many years, and now, back in the US, I see many people trying to learn Japanese, to enhance their resume. Very few of them are making enough progress to possibly call Japanese language ability an asset on their resumes. Like Japanese, Chinese has a writing system with thousands of characters; it is a major feat to learn all of them.

If you have some genuine interest in things Chinese, certainly, pursue it as a minor. But if you simply want to have "Chinese language ability" on your resume, my knee-jerk reaction is 'you probably won't get that good'. And with each passing year, translation tools are getting better ;-)

Francis recommends the following next steps:

• Decide why you want to learn Chinese.
0

Candi’s Answer

0

The economy is now global and there are lots of opportunities to expand your opportunities if you are truly bilingual or multilingual.  But being bilingual is more than getting a minor in college - it's being able to speak conversationally and, in business situations, that includes a very complex vocabulary.  If you truly enjoy learning Chinese and would like to travel to China, there are certainly going to be employers who will value that.  I would recommend reaching out to a few companies you may be interested in working for and inquiring about what they recruit for.   For example, Huawei has a number of offices in the US.  A friend of mine is a mid-level engineering manager for them; he speaks Chinese and travels there several times a year as part of his job.

Candi recommends the following next steps:

• I would recommend reaching out to a few Chinese/American companies you may be interested in working for and inquiring about what they recruit for.
0

Matthew’s Answer

0

Yes. The impact on the job possibilities you'll have is monumental. Being able to minor in a foreign language, ESPECIALLY Chinese (mandarin), opens the door to a lot of different career paths.

I would suggest thinking about another minor in international affairs. If you don't minor in international affairs, then join as many international affairs groups as you can.

This will open the door to an infinite amount of possibilities.

Best of luck

Matthew recommends the following next steps:

• Add the minor
  • Join international affairs groups
  • Make 100K+ salary :) have fun!
0

Rebecca’s Answer

0
China's financial market is developing rapidly in these years. They have been opening up Equities and Bond Markets for foreign investor via Stock Connect , Bond Connect, etc. channels and have eased the application process. This is great opportunities and incentive for investors globally. Therefore, Mandarin is a great advantage to you if you would like to develop your career in Financial Industry.

Rebecca recommends the following next steps:

• 1. Identity opportunities to study Finance in China, e.g. Being an exchange student
  • 2 Establish network with your classmates in China (if you can have an opportunity to study in China)
0