Do data scientists solve problems?

2
2

Josh’s Answer

0

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but depending on their role, a data scientist solves all kinds of problems! They also can give other people critical information for them to be able to solve their problems.

For example, a data scientist might be given a question like "Try and look at the behavior of people who cancel our product after 3 months vs those who keep using it. Are there any key differences in what they do in the first 2 weeks?"

The answers they come up with might be used to help a product manager or user experience team improve the product -- they give them the information they'll need to solve their problem. But along the way they'll have plenty of problems of their own to solve. Depending on the company, that might include things like "how do I get that data", "how do I query that data to actually answer that question", and "how do I visualize the results in a way that can help people really understand what's happening?"

All of those sorts of problems can be really fun and rewarding to solve!

Thank you This helped a lot :) Omar D.
Thank You.This is helpful. Mona D.
0

Tina’s Answer

0
Hi Omar! Here are some of the problems I've worked on as a data scientist:

• What sort of training would most benefit this employee?
• What skills could help this customer get the most out of our relationship with them?
• Is anybody trying to cheat the system and get more money than they are entitled to?
• Which customer should we contact next to try to make a sale?
• How should we staff our tech support center so that customers will have access to the technicians with the right skills, and our technicians won't be sitting around waiting for a call?
• How much cargo space will we need for product shipments from this factory to those distribution centers in the upcoming weeks and months?

And, as Josh says, to get to the answers to these problems, I've had to answer questions and solve problems like:
What data would help me answer that question? How can I get it in the time and place I need it?
Who needs to use the answer to the question and how are they going to use it?
What type of model would get me the best answer in the right amount of time, given the type of data I have available?
How would I make the answers available to the people who need to use them, and how could I share it in a way that helps people trust the answers?
0