What major in college to become dental hygienist?

4

I am a junior in high school and I am very interested in becoming a dental hygienist. As far as I know you have to take pre-req classes for 2 years and get your associates degree then apply for a dental hygiene program which takes 2 years. What is the major you take for the pre-req classes? #dentistry #college #college-major #dental-hygienist

4

Shanell’s Answer

0
Dental hygienists typically need an associate's degree in dental hygiene. Bachelor's and master's degree programs in dental hygiene also are available, but are less common. For example, Texas A&M University has the Caruth School of Dental Hygiene. Their undergraduate Bachelor of Science program typically takes 60 semester hours, or two years of study, to complete. Upon completion of the degree, students may sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination and clinical examination for licensure, or they may continue on to Master’s studies in Dental Hygiene, Public Health, Education, or Health Administration also available at Texas A&M. There are several colleges that offer a degree in Dental Hygiene. Make sure you check out local technical schools as well. Most definitely compare cost and time frame to complete the program to choose what best fits your needs and budget. I hope this helps.
0

0
If you want to become just an Dental Hygienist you can attend an Community College that has this program and it takes about 3 to 4 years to complete this program, but if you are considering moving into becoming a Dentist or Dental specialist, which will be 6 year and plus, then you have to go through getting a Bachelor Degree and then Doctorate degree, which I can let you know that a lot of community college are connected with bigger Colleges and Universities so you don't need to worry about your credits does not get transfer. Since you are from Philadelphia, I am not sure which area but a lot of people I know are attending CCP (Community College of Philadelphia), I also have a link at the bottom for you to take a look of all the course works you need for completing Dental Hygienist. If you are considering moving on to Dental school then Temple University which is down the block is an option as well, I believes Temple University and CCP may still have the transferring program were you start at CCP then move on to becoming Temple University student. You have to ask CCP admission office on that part.

https://www.ccp.edu/academic-offerings/all-offerings/dental-hygiene
This helps out a lot! I do live in Philadelphia and I planned on going to CCP for dental hygiene but I was confused. Do I just go straight into the program right after high school? I read the information in the link you provided and it says you must have at least a 2.5 GPA (which I have higher than that) and took biology and chemistry and have a good grade in those. Alison B. Translate
Once you are in the program, you will be taking bio and chem from college during either your 1st and/or 2nd semester, it is like high school you take about 5 classes per semester and each semester consider about 14 - 15 weeks. What you are seeing from the link are courses you will need to take in order to take those class. So as for grades you will have get or maintain at least a higher than 2.5 GPA = C+ but try getting at least a B+ or above. David Loi Translate
If you want you can always ask your school counselor about it or the college for a better understanding how it will work. Because once you get into college you can always look for student service or adviser to help you plan out courses for each semester to take, but always remember to do it yourself and not rely on others even adviser can be off track for your course work and study. David Loi Translate
0

Roshonda’s Answer

0
This website provides tons of insight into the educational requirements for dental hygienists:
https://collegegrad.com/careers/dental-hygienists
0

Riley’s Answer

0
The bare minimum college degree you will need for this is an associate's degree in dental hygiene, which takes two years. However, if you wanted to get a higher paying job or move up in this career you could also go for your bachelor's or master's degree in the same major. One of these higher degrees would be required to be working in research or to become a professor in the subject.
0