Should I take anatomy and physiology along with Pharmacology and Nutrition?

11

Hello there
So in summer I term which starts 06/04/2020 and ends on 07/01/2020 I will plan to take anatomy and physiology level 2 which is 4 credits in 5 weeks. Now along with that class, I'm planning (or deciding) whether or not I should take pharmacology which is 3 credits. However, there are 2 options of pharmacology schedule which means
1) will start on May 26, 2020 and will end at July 1, 2020 (6 weeks)
2) will start on May 26, 2020 and will end at August 6, 2020 ( 11 weeks)

Moreover, I'm going to take Nutrition and Diet Therapy which is 3 credits and will start on July 6, 2020 and will end at August 6, 2020 (5 weeks)

Summer I will start on (June 4, 2020 - July 1, 2020)
Summer II (July 6, 2020 - August 6, 2020)

Should I take all 3 courses during summer 2020 or what do you think I should do? :)

#medicine #books #library #fashion #college #courses # classes #anatomy #help #summerterm #career #medical #nurse #nursing #careeradvice #summer 2020

UPDATE: I'm TAKING ALL OF THEM THIS SEMESTER :D

I have been taking intro chemistry, chem lab, along with A&P2 as summer 5 week courses together and it was incredibly overwhelming for me. i had to withdraw from A&P2. i had several tests/quizzes a week, 3 labs, lab reports per week, 3-4 chapters per week followed by a test and that's just A&P2... there was never enough time to study and my first test was so brutal. i thought with all my free time and having only 5 weeks to learn I would be able to handle it and get it over with quick but i was terribly wrong. i do not recommend taking anything else with A&P2. it's better to keep that class on its own especially during a summer semester, its a beast. Gwen T. Translate
11

1
By going to summer school, that will be your whole life for the summer. You won't have time to do anything else. At all. You will also not remember anything from summer by one month into the fall semester. So, if subsequent courses will be building upon the foundation set by summer courses, you could be in real trouble. four out of my five C's came from summer courses! (six hours each Semester - Summer I and Summer II).

I would not take something that I need to truly learn over the summer. It's just not good. If you insist on doing it, I'd take the A&P part 2 over Summer I, Diet and Nutrition over Summer II, and the 11-week Pharmacology. If you want time to come up for air, I'd eliminate the Diet and Nutrition, so your Summer II is lighter. It will give you time to catch up on Pharmacology if you fell behind during the first half, and maybe a chance to breathe some fresh air before jumping into Fall.
1

Suzanne’s Answer

1
Hi Leslie,

These are all very intensive courses requiring lots of memorization and study time. I believe it is ultimately up to you; your ability to multitask, stay focused.

I would also add your decision also depends on how you are planning to manage your college career. Are you attempting to finish as quickly as possible? When does your fall semester begin? Are you trying to work part time as well. All of these things matter.

If you are wanting to complete your prerequisites for nursing school, I would definitely proceed with the anatomy and physiology and the pharmacology. I would opt for the second session of pharmacology which would allow a slower paced class which would allow you to balance your study time between those two classes.

I am interested to see if there are any other thoughts you might receive from others.

Also, you may want to reach out to your academic advisor and run this question by them.

Keep up the great work!

Best,
Sue
1

Yasemin’s Answer

0
Hi Mermaid! It looks like you figured it out but for future students contemplating the same thing, I would advise to only take one summer class. First of all these classes are heavy science based and most of the time are prerequisites for nursing or medical school - from what I know, they could also include other fields as well- that being said you want to do well in these classes because they really show up later on in your studies. Taking a lot of heavy science classes in a condensed time period will be too much for most students, if not all, and it may lead to a learning experience that is not the best; if you take most of the classes during the semester it will be more spaced out and you will learn better as you are more relaxed and not rushing to complete them. In addition, medical schools, and most likely nursing schools as well, will not like when you take certain important prerequisites or hard science classes at community college. If you take one or two that is fine but they are not in favor of all classes being at cc, so definitely for your grades and your application sake space it out and take just one class and do your best in that. It will pay off more in the long run!

0

Jemima A.’s Answer

0
Hy Mermaid,

My answer might be coming a bit late.

I agree with Suzanne's, Kim's, Yasemin's, Estee's, Christina's, Lisa's, Hanna's, Estelle's, Carla's but just to add in

As an Anatomist that also took physiology courses and little of pharmacology.
It isn't really easy combining these courses with pharmacology.

But with good planning, discipline, multi tasking and hard work. YOU CAN..
It lies within you..

All the best
0

Estee’s Answer

0
A&P is tough as well as Pharmacology. I would recommend for you to take A&P along with Diet and Nutrition. I don't think A&P and Pharmacology should be taken both during the summer season. Summer classes are too fast paced. In fact, I think it would be great to have A&P to have that background before taking Pharm. Hope this helps!
0

Lisa’s Answer

0
This depends on how much time and attention you have to spend on your work. If you are not working in addition to school, I would say ok. If you are working at all I would scale that back. Also, how did you do in A and P 1 ? If you struggled, I would not take the heavy work load. Summer courses are condensed which means much more work in a shorter time frame. I would stretch it out in terms of length of the course if given a choice.

Good luck !
Yeah I'm not working at all. On anatomy & physiology lets say i was studying wrong but now i'm doing okay. Mermaid O. Translate
0

Hanna’s Answer

0
Are you planning on finishing early? It is possible to take all three but you would have little to no summer break as you go into your next year.
0

Estelle’s Answer

0
Absolutely, those classes will be fundamental to your practice.
0

Carla’s Answer

0
Taking a 4 credit hour class in 5 weeks will be very difficult and demanding. You should not take 2 classes in one summer session. Take only one class per summer session is my advice, or else your grades in both classes will suffer greatly.
0

Christina’s Answer

0
If I were you I would take only one class at a time . Do not over load yourself during the summer.
0