What were your hardships during undergrad and grad school to become a dentist (pediatric dentist, or orthodontist)??

4

Jennifer’s Answer

I am in a different field but can speak to undergrad and those hardships or opportunities. Make sure you are realistic with yourself as far as what you take on. If you had a hard time balancing work and school in high school then you might not want to start off taking a full course load and working, it is important to balance not only classroom time but also study time. Yes the idea is to graduate in 4years but if you are performing better academically with 1 few class a semester, it is worth the extra time spent.

0

Dan’s Answer

Again, this is from a medicine perspective but it’s fairly similar from what I can gather from my dental friends.

The biggest hardship I would say is the mindset that you’ll need to be successful. You have to maintain a certain level of focus that continues to require more from you until you’re finished. You will be sacrificing many social events in addition to time with close friends and family. The good news is that the dental path is usually shorter than the medical path when including residency.

0

Jennifer’s Answer

0

Neil’s Answer

The biggest hardship in undergrad is the focus you must have to excel as a student. You must sacrifice many of the classic undergrad experiences to achieve the grades you need for Dental School. In dental school, your entire life is devoted to being a student. It's an 8 to 5 job with frequent after hours homework.

0