ACROSS ALL FIELDS Why do you love your job?

Many people hate their jobs, almost everyone longs for weekends, I get that. But what got you into your profession in the first place? What did you study in college and how did that affect your career? And why do you love your job? Is it working with people? Being creative? The high pay? All answers are welcome! Honesty is appreciated.
#engineering #finance #art #programming #fashion #design #architecture

17

Jenn’s Answer

My path was definitely not a straight path! I didn't know what I wanted to be or do in college and after college! I have been an investment banker, a teacher, a non-profit counselor, HR professional and an administrative assistant. I have always loved the people I work with.....you work 8 hours per day so no matter what I did, if I loved the people then the day job was that much better. Putting life into perspective is important! I now manage Global Community Service at Dell which is amazing but my background in everything that I have done in the past is being used in my current role. I always knew I had a passion for people and a passion to help others and I am able to embrace that passion. What are you passionate about?

I love your reply. Having a great attitude such as Jenn's makes any (well almost any) job great. Marcia Smith

I admire your attitude as well Jenn. Thank you for your sincere answer! I'm currently in high school and a prospective engineer. I love building things, learning about computers, and I do a lot of STEM-related things outside of school whenever I can. Currently I'm a part of an all-girls robotics team and a team that participates in the Shell Eco-marathon to build cars for fuel efficiency. Lisa P.

i am very interested because of your information thank you so much Hajira N.

2

Gloria’s Answer

I love my job because I am able to use stuff that I love to do, writing, project planning, creating work that helps other people. I am an Instructional Designer. I did not begin my college journey with this job in mind. I had planned to be a journalist. I actually got into Learning and Development in my first full time job. I was still taking classes then. I found a niche with training coworkers on how to do my job. I had never expected to be a teacher, yet it was something that came naturally. It is about sharing information in an organized way. I also was asked to document processes and procedures that I used to do my job. I had no idea that work was actually something that would lead to a profession. In many ways, I stumbled into my profession. It took me over a decade to get my Bachelor’s degree since I was already doing a job that I love. I didn’t think that I needed to get a degree after finding something that I loved. During an economic downturn several years ago, I was laid off and could not find a Learning and Development job because I didn’t have a degree. Not being able to do what I love was great fuel for me to get my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
The main thing that you have to do is play to your strengths. I am a lucky that my job pays well. It is also rewarding. My job is to make sure that other people can do their jobs well. That is a nerve-wracking yet rewarding feeling to have people’s work lives in my hands. I am grateful that my job is rewarding in a way that has nothing to do with money. I do not know what you will find rewarding, that is soul searching that you are going to need to do for yourself. Just knowing that following your strengths and passions can be rewarding.

1

Lucas’s Answer

I highly doubt many people found there 'love at first job' on the first try... This is a good question, but I think we should reframe it. Try a few jobs, follow things that interest you, be open to new fields. The best way to find out what you like, is to do things you don't like.

Eventually you'll know enough to figure out what would suit your career goals, and who you are personally.

0

Marianne’s Answer

I love my job because it allows me to make a difference everyday. I have the opportunity to make our business team staff job easier everyday. Helping others gives me great satisfaction at the end of the day. I also love my job because I work for a great company with great core values.

0

Jessica’s Answer

I worked for a company for 15 years and LOVED my job! I loved the product, training people, then watching the people I trained get promoted, and traveling. I loved coming in making a decision and then the next day seeing the positive results I accomplished. I was paid ok, enough to support my family, but it didn't matter. Now I work for a company that keeps me home to support my family in an emotional way, and I get paid twice as much, but I don't love it and can't wait to go back to my old company.

0

Kristen’s Answer

I love my job because it allows me to work with people who are new to the company and train them to be successful with handling all of our customers concerns. I enjoy watching the employees grow and develop skills that lead them into new careers at Verizon. Technology is always changing so my work environment is constantly adapting to that change. Constant change means work is never boring for me. I am always learning something new and finding creative ways to teach it to the class I am training.

0

Sarah’s Answer

I did not graduate from college so finding my career path has been a challenge. I worked a few entry level jobs but now I'm in sales. What I love about my job is the environment. The company I work for is people driven, they focus on keeping employees happy so we want to be there and be our best. I also love that my employer recognizes my value and wants to help me better myself and grow professionally.

0

Andrea’s Answer

I love what I do. I did not study telecommunications in college I started computer science. When I started in the wireless industry it was just a job not a career. but as I saw other leaders I got a passion. I work with good people, friendly knowledgeable and being creative in solving others problems. I love thinking on my feet. solving problems and helping others progress in other fields that they are interested in.. My family time is important but so is my job. My job consists of training, advising, discovering interesting and answering inquiries, tts many hats in 1. That's why I like it so much.

0

Sarah’s Answer

0

Allison’s Answer

I did not plan on going into the security field when I was in college. I started as pre-med in my undergrad and made my way over to business, eventually getting my MBA. I started as a contractor and worked my way up into a management position. I love my job because it allows me to help people. My favorite part is interacting with my internal clients and providing them with information, other contacts, or increasing the security at their work location. Being a security professional, your job changes as the world changes. Being involved in all of the different projects I manage- it never gets boring!

0

Prince’s Answer

I like my job. I completed my bachelor's degree in computer science. In college all the subjects helped me to have technical knowledge which I am able to implement/use in my job. Apart from this, I had done few extra-curricular activities in college which helps me do something new in my job. I like interacting with people and my job allows me do so along with good pay.

0

Bill’s Answer

Lisa,

I love my job because I work with amazing people that allow me to be creative everyday!

It is important to pursue your passion.

Bill

0

Bill’s Answer

Lisa,

It is important to pursue your passion.

Bill

0

Judy’s Answer

Yes, I think it's always a discovery, but you aim for things you do like, back away from those that make you grumpy . I have always loved the arts, so I had to find my niche. I was not a painter or sculptress, and I did not even know at the time there was a field called interior design. It certainly did not have the high profile it does now, but you find your way. Stay true to your heart, it may not happen right away, but you will get there. If you feel drawn to a field seek out a mentor or go for an internship, Inthink opportunities like that are more prevalent today !
Great question and best of luck !

0

Tobias’s Answer

I love my job because it's what I already enjoy doing in my day-to-day life. I'm a software engineer and at its very core it's about solving problems. I enjoy puzzles, riddles, and solving problems in general, so this gives a challenging space to do that every day. There are days I love my job more than others, but the overwhelming majority of the time I love waking up to solve problems that others may not have yet solved.

0

Sara’s Answer

Every job I've ever loved has come down to the people. You spend so much time with your coworkers if you don't have genuine connections it can be a lonely experience. I've made some of my best friends through my jobs and I've built a network of people who believe in me and build me up. The deeper I get into my career the more I am focused on who I am working for over what I am doing. The people matter.

0

Tyrus’s Answer

I love my job because, oddly enough, it's something that anyone can do when properly trained, but everyone may not want to do it. Therefore, although my job has it's technological levels of ease and difficulties, once you know and understand it, you look forward to the challenges that may arise because it drives you to be better. Some will see what I do and say "I could never do that." Others will see it and be totally fascinated by it and want to know "how do you do that!" The range of my knowledge and skills varies from repairing a land line telephone in a home to building the telecommunications infrastructure in a corporate office building. When I show up at a site and there's nothing there but cables and when I leave, there is a highly functioning communications system there, I truly feel like I am apart of what drives my company to be great. When I am driving around the areas that I've worked, I can't help but tell my family and friends, "you see that building over there? I built their communication system. You those houses over there? I wired them up!" knowing that "you" took part in fixing or repairing a problem is one of the greatest feelings of accomplishments that one could ever have. I love my job because I can feel good and take pride in what I do.

I'd agree with Tyrus, though I'm in a different field (software development) - there is something very satisfying about the challenges of creativity and problem-solving. Being able to fix a problem and know that plenty of users will now have an easier time accomplishing their task is a source of inherent satisfaction. Tova Lieberman

0