What college should I go to?

Asked San Jose, California

I want to be an engineer but, I am not sure what type of engineer...maybe aerospace engineering. The only college I have in mind is Cal-Poly but, I want back-up options in case Cal-Poly does not work out. #college #engineer

Greg’s Answer

Updated Sunnyvale, California

One question for you first: do you plan to go on for an advanced degree (master's or even doctorate) after college, or enter the workforce straight away? A fair number of positions require an MS or "N years of equivalent experience," and a smaller number actually require a Ph.D.

If grad school is in your future, your undergrad institution is not as critical; a decent state school such as Cal Poly or San Jose State is a fine stepping stone. Even a junior college like De Anza, followed by a transfer to a UC, for example, is a reasonable way to go. Of course, the more you can narrow down your interests, the better you can tune your choice of college/university; a school's reputation in one department need not carry over to a neighboring department. Schools that are strong in most or all science and engineering fields (e.g., UC Berkeley) also tend to be harder to get into.

I'm afraid I can't offer specific recommendations for the terminal-bachelor's case since my own background is in the sciences, and rankings have almost certainly changed since I went to school anyway.

Most likely I am going into the workforce and than a year later I going to go for my masters. Thank you for the advise that you were able to give.