Hey , Im quaterya and i want to attend college and become a teacher and i´m looking for good advice to encourage me more about becoming a teacher .

10

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Quaterya.

There is a great joy in teaching. When you teach anyone, you are giving them the gift of knowledge. That knowledge will be with them for the rest of their lives. It is an incredible moment when you see someone gain knowledge. It is a gift that can only been seen in the face, through a smile or a glint of pleasure in the eyes. Those are the moments that you live for. And sometimes, it can take a while before you see that, or you may not see it at all. That can be disheartening. No matter how well you do your job, you will be faced with the fact that you cannot help everyone. I will tell you, if you focus on the many you help, you will get gifts like these every day.

I am in corporate training, so teaching is a bit different. You are teaching people who already know their jobs. You are just adding to those skills. I feel very grateful to help them learn new skills. They will stay employed or they will earn a promotion through the training that I give. I am helping them with their livelihood.

Gloria

0

Justine’s Answer

Hi Quaterya!

That is so exciting that you want to become a teacher. I am in my fifth year teaching ESL, and as others have said, it is incredibly challenging but so rewarding.

I see that you are from Tennessee. I live in Memphis! I am not originally from TN and I did not go to undergrad here, so I do not know a lot about the education programs at different colleges here. However, it seems that many of my colleagues here in Memphis received their degrees from the University of Memphis, so their program might be worth looking into. But definitely explore different schools! Look at their education programs and see how well they are ranked and what sorts of requirements they have. (And what the tuition at the college is!)

I actually did a program called Memphis Teacher Residency to get my teaching certification. However, they also accept people who already have a certification but want to get a (free!) master's degree and more hands-on experience before entering the classroom. There are more and more programs like MTR opening up across the state and the country, so that might be something to look into when you graduate from undergrad if you want to further your education.

As you go through college, I would highly encourage you to volunteer with children. Even though I did not study education in undergrad, I actually volunteered a lot with refugee youth in an after-school program, and that helped me decide that I wanted to become an ESL teacher later on.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions.

0

Shelby’s Answer

Teaching is such a rewarding career. For myself, who is teaching math in high school, I get so much joy out of seeing students work hard to finally comprehend a concept. As an educator, you get to witness these students grow up and learn, which is an amazing experience. I would recommend anyone with strong senses of empathy, compassion, and respect for kids to go into education. Hope this helps!

0

Kelsee’s Answer

Teaching is a great career. First you have to decide on what age/grades you’d like to teach. From there you’ll be able to pick college classes. They have classes for K-6 and then classes for high school teaching.

Thank You ! Quaterya T.

0

Julianne’s Answer

Hello Quaterya,

Teaching is a very rewarding job! One thing you could do is start to babysit or work at an afterschool program near you, so you can start to interact with children. This will give you a great experience in the field, if you chose to work at a school program you will also work with other teachers who can help you along the way. It is definitely the easiest way to start to gain experience with children and education.

There are many colleges that have education programs, look at colleges near you, and see what they have to offer! Education is such an important thing. It is so rewarding as a teacher to see your students grow as you teach them!

Good Luck, I hope this helps!

0

Alison’s Answer

Hi Quaterya,
Good for you! Teaching is an extremely important job, and we need passionate, dedicated people to go into this field! Teaching can be really frustrating sometimes, but it can also be one of the most rewarding jobs you can do. So, let’s have a look at some qualities you’ll need.

Are you kind? Students need to know that you care about them and respect them so that they can develop trust in you. Once you’ve established that relationship of trust, a lot more learning takes place.

Are you creative? As a teacher, you’ll have to create lesson plans and find ways to engage your students/keep them interested in the subject matter or topics that you’re teaching. Sometimes things don’t work the way you think they will, so you’ll have to do some problem solving (or sometimes even improvising on the spot) to make sure your students are getting the best possible lessons.

Are you tough? During your years of being a student, you have probably already seen that classroom life is not always perfect. Sometimes students don’t behave perfectly. Sometimes they come into class with really big problems to solve that you weren’t expecting to see. Sometimes they don’t understand something they need to. Sometimes a teacher’s bosses or colleagues could act like a jerk. Sometimes parents are really difficult to deal with. Sometimes you don’t get the funding you asked for but you’ve got to find a way to do the job anyway. Heck, sometimes there’s even a massive emergency like a global pandemic and you’ve got to figure out how to do your job in a whole new way with a whole lot of new stressors overnight! Anyone who says teaching is an easy job doesn’t really know what they’re talking about. It’s tough, so you’ve got to be tough to make your way through it.

Are you resilient? As hard as teaching can be, when you do solve a problem and help your students truly understand something, it’s the best feeling in the world! When I interview teachers for positions and ask them what they like most about teaching, almost all of them say something like, “that moment where you can tell that a student really “gets it” and you get to see them smile or show off to their friends or tell their parents how happy they are about the grade or whatever it is, is the best thing”. As we’ve already seen, it can be a challenge to get students to that point, so you have to be willing to keep working and keep trying until you get there.

Do you like to help? If you are the kind of person who likes helping others, teaching is a great profession to consider. Having the compassion to connect with students and help them grow is a phenomenal skill. Every day, you’ll be helping students learn and helping them navigate life. No matter what age of student you want to teach, students will be going through developmental phases, and you will have a front row seat to seeing them realize new things about themselves.

Are you good at celebrating? Even when not everything is perfect, it’s up to the teacher to keep the classroom running. To do that, it helps to be able to find the good in things. If you are the kind of person who can make a kid feel really good about improving a skill even though it’s not perfect yet, help a group to see what went so well with their project, make a class realize the payoff for their collective performance and hard work, or show each student that they are valuable then you’ve probably got what it takes to teach.

Again, teaching is hard, but there is nothing else I can think of that has the potential to be so rewarding. If you are up for a challenge and ready to help future generations be successful, then this is the job to go for!
Good luck to you, Quaterya! I hope this helps, and please feel welcome to reach out if you have any more questions.

Thank You ! Quaterya T.

0