122
views

How do you know what field is best for you?

I am in the field of psychology and is confused as what to minor in.

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america, Jamaica

76

2

Three answers:

I think the most important thing for you to do is pick a minor in an area that interests you. Im currently a psychology major at the University of Maryland, College Park, and i have also wanted to pick a minor for a while now. I am currently considering Classical Mythology because i have an interest in that area. The best thing for you to do is look at the range of minors your school provides, and pick something you find interesting. You don't need to pick a minor that stresses you out, you already have a major for that. Pick something that plays towards your strength and is something you would love to learn more about.

Dear Sherry-Lisa,

i agree with Oluwafemi that choosing a minor which interests you is probably the best way to proceed. I majored in psychology but minored in literature and history, which are still passions of mine. If you are interested in studying psychology at a graduate level many psychology departments will indicate which minors they think are preferable. However I would not let that lead you to minor in a subject you don't really like.

One other consideration: many employers look for people with good communication skills, both in speaking and writing, so any minor that requires a lot of writing could have some extra benefits.

I hope these comments are helpful. I wish you the best in your college career..

I agree that a communications minor would be useful for your future or even a minor in a second language IF that sounds like something that would interest you. It all depends on what your long-term goals are.

IF you are a freshman at your college or university (and I don't have a sense from what you've written), you will have lots of time to explore different courses before you need to decide on a minor. If a course you take really gets your interested ignited, then that topic is probably a good one for you as a minor. Note that a minor is NOT required in many programs - each college/university has it's own guidelines for taking a minor.

IF your plans include graduate school, I would recommend focusing your time and energy on developing relationships with the psychology faculty at your institution and volunteering your time to assist on one of the research projects of the faculty....that type of experience is really needed these days to get into a graduate program at a top flight university!

Good luck and don't fret right now on which minor, if any, to pursue.