6

Is ASP.NET not used as much anymore for web development?

I recently took a course that was required for Information Science & Technology majors. I learned about ASP.NET and how it's widely used in web development. However, most of the web development jobs that I have seen posted online seem to use client side frameworks more. Is this because ASP.NET is not being as widely used anymore or could it just be the job postings I've looked at so far just didn't use it? #software #computer-science #technology

6

2

Samer’s Answer

Hi Sam

ASP.NET is still used for wide of web applications but as mentioned by Omkar, ASP.NET is server based and is more native to Windows platform. With cloud services becoming more prominent for new application development people have pivoted more toward microservices architecture that allows for the backend services do be domain based and decoupled from the front end client. This is why new frameworks that are client based that communicate to backed through restful services are gaining traction like AngularJs/ReactJs/etc.. such platforms are putting the load on the client browser for rendering the pages and are allowing for a more decoupled microservices based backend services to serve the client and business logic.

With this decoupling you gain benefits such as domain driven design (DDD) that allows the application to become less a monolith and more flexible for future additions, while maintaining expertise logic in the services domain with a well structured interfaces. While normally microservices design come with a cost of deployment, network latency/etc more and more are finding benefits of such architecture. That being said ASP.NET /MVC and still popular but ASP.NET lost popularity in WebForms and Web API.

In short ASP.NET is still used as a application framework and MVC for web application is in use but newer architectures are gaining popularity and with the ease of cloud services deployment and the requirement of having high availability/scalability and resiliency have changed the landscape of how people are approaching web development for newer applications.

Hope this helps you in understanding why you might be seeing newer openings with different frameworks. find below a link to the popular demand on programing in 2021
https://towardsdatascience.com/top-10-in-demand-web-development-frameworks-in-2021-8a5b668be0d6

All the best!
Thank you comment icon Thank you Samer for not only answering my question but explaining other concepts associated with it as well! Sam
2
2

Omkar’s Answer

Its not that ASP.NET is not used in the industry. But since its been available since a long time and there are other alternative languages which have came up which have tried to overcome the drawbacks of ASP.NET, developers are choosing something light weight and more flexible language.
Recently, companies are going with other languages and frameworks because those new technologies provide them with more features and flexibility as compared to ASP.NET.
2
1

Mickael’s Answer

Hi Sam,

Samer's and Omkar's answer are the best you can get. You will see that technologies come and go in computer science in various paces. Learning one technology is always a good thing:
- first because it teaches you something new you may have to use later,
- second because it shows you what kind of architecture people used to solve some problem. And by looking at this becoming obsolete, you can see what was overlooked, or became wrong over time.

Security is something that has become the key of do anything everywhere. The ability to update one piece of the software without impacting everything else is also why microservices and decoupling of the client with the server has been the new path. Microservices also have seen a huge benefits from the extra power you have on the current hardware and the container/virtualization that can run your application in a closed box using known interface to discuss. That somewhat helped the quick availability of service and quick maintenance that is harder with bigger monolithic applications.
Though the former are not going away so you may find need for company to find people knowing those considered "old" architecture simply to maintain something or move from it if there is no more opportunity to maintain security and performance as high as requested.

Another example of such obsolete technology is flash. It's been there for a while, but with this online world there were too many security threats that could not be fixed with current architecture. After a while, you simply stop using the technology for a more secured, more robust one. That said, for really internal projects, you may still see use of flash.

1
1

Hanley’s Answer

Hi, Yes and no.

First off, ASP.net has been around for a long time so there are tons of well established web platforms where it is in use and those aren't getting rebuilt quickly. Modifying and maintaining those sites will provide employment for thousands of developers for decades.

Secondly, even when you're developing in a framework like Angular, you still need server side development. Client side code isn't much use if it can't pull data from a database, and that requires server side development. It's easy to overlook that when you're first getting started on a client side framework because you can do so much so quickly, but that's just the pretty side of the application. The guts still rely heavily on server side code to access and manipulate data.

Where I work, I've been doing asp.net development for the last 16 years. Currently our office is transforming into pretty much an all angular shop and I'm having to learn a lot of new stuff. I'm working in VS Code and writing modules and components that run in JavaScript. However, I still have to develop services to do the main data processing before that data is handed off to the client.

So, yes the world is moving toward JavaScript-based, client side development frameworks, but this doesn't mean that asp.net is going away.

Lastly, if you're taking computer science classes, seek out database classes. That is the biggest area that is typically missed in a university education, but the one that you'll need when you join the workforce. I don't know how schools keep brushing off database as if it's not that important, but trust me, it's extremely important and if you take some extra time to learn more about it, especially SQL, it will pay off big time when you go looking for a job.
Thank you comment icon I will definitely try to make sure I focus more on SQL, thank you for the advice Hanley! Sam
1