Is it possible to get a UI/UX job with a IST degree?

My major is IST and the classes I've taken are mostly web development/network architectures based. I've learned things like HTML, CSS, JS, C#, ASP.NET but nothing really design based. Would it still be possible to get a UI/UX designer based job even if I don't know things like how to use all the Adobe products/other design software?

I recently learned Figma on my own and Sketch (only through videos, I don't have access to it), but that's about it. technology computer-science career design

4

Chiranjib’s Answer

Hi Sam.

Short answer - Yes, why not!

Long answer - No one knows everything and we all have to start somewhere. However, here is a sample UI/UX job description -
1. You have a degree/diploma in Design, Fine Arts, Engineering or related field
2. You have prior experience as a UI/UX Designer as well as a strong portfolio of related projects
3. You are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop)
4. You are proficient in prototyping tools such as Sketch, InVision, etc.
5. Basic HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript skills are a plus
6. You pay strong attention to detail and have a keen eye for aesthetics
7. You have excellent communication skills and can clearly articulate your ideas, designs, and suggestions
8. You are a strong team player who can collaborate effectively with different stakeholders

Based on your profile, you might think, you do not meet all the requirements and that is perfectly fine.
6,7,8 are soft skills that you can master if you try.
2,3,4 are where you will have to plug the gaps. Look for short-term courses with certificates from providers like Udemy, EdX, Coursera, etc. Build a portfolio of your own that you can showcase to prospective employers.
5 is already covered for you, I think.
And if all other points are covered 1 would not be a problem.

At the end of the day, it's all about applying the learning, and these days industry does not seek just degrees, they seek to know how good you are at applying the learning!

Chiranjib recommends the following next steps:

Plug the gaps. Take short term courses. Sharpen your skills, add to your CV.
Build a portfolio of projects that you can showcase.
Add details of courses, certificates and projects in your professional profile on LinkedIn.
Network with industry experts and apply for openings, when you think you meet the criteria.

Thank you for the advice Chiranjib! I'm not sure how to say that "I didn't major in what you might require but it's close in the fact that I did learn web dev/I'm very interesting in learning more about the field if given a chance". How would you suggest reaching out to a recruiter and explaining the situation in a more formal way? Sam S.

Hi Sam, you could showcase the projects you have done. Something like - "Sir, would you be so kind as to take a look at all the projects I have done around UI/UX design? Do you think I can get an opportunity in your esteemed organization?" Let your work speak for yourself. Show and tell! Chiranjib Mazumdar

Great, thank you so much for the feedback! Sam S.

3

Upanshu’s Answer

Hello Sam,

Yes, you should be able to get the job for UX designer with the skill set you mentioned and also learning about Figma. Please continue with your learning and keep your focus on your interest as a UX designer.

Wish you all the best.

Thanks,
-Upanshu

Upanshu recommends the following next steps:

Keep learning the tools for UX e.g. Figma or any other available
Learn about the latest trends in UX design.
1

Alea’s Answer

Hi Sam!

You could definitely get a job in UX with a degree in IST. I have met lots of professionals in the field who studied a variety of topics including comp-sci, design, psychology, and even marketing. You will bring a unique skillset and perspective to your UX team, and will likely be better able to design for implementation than someone like me with limited coding knowledge. :)

That being said, you are doing the right thing by learning how to use Figma and other design tools. UX can be pretty broad, so I would recommend taking a look at the requirements for job postings you think sound exciting, and work on developing the technical skills that you don't have yet. As a UX Program Management Intern, I have spent very little time in figma and other design tools, but I have spent a lot of time conducting User Research through interviews and then working in a team to understanding the data through use of journey maps and personas.

Best of luck to you!

Alea

Alea recommends the following next steps:

Explore the different types of UX Jobs
Continue developing your skills in Figma, Adobe Creative Suite
Familiarize yourself with design and research processes
0