8
Asked 366 views

What are the types of jobs available in cyber security/what are your daily tasks?

There are different types of jobs available in cyber security ranging from penetration tester to cyber security analysts. If you hold any of type of position in cyber security, what are some projects/daily tasks you have? What do you find interesting about them and why? #information-technology #technology #computer-science #cyber-security

8

1

Sumitra’s Answer

Hi ! With increasing demand of cybersecurity there certainly is a need for a spectrum of skilled people to work together and address a situation. As a cybersecurity specialist I get to do the threat analysis and risk assessment wherein I understand the target of evaluation, identify misuse cases, assets that need protection, do threat modeling and arrive at recommending security needs. But as a project security manager, I get to do lot more than threat and risk assessment. I get to formulate security concepts, interact and keep track of implementation of security features by development team, build test cases, to name a few. What interests me in this entire cycle is I am a part of this entire product development life cycle- starting from designing to decommissioning. So I get to have the idea, know -how of everything- be it system design, or implementation, or testing, or deployment, or even field return in case of anomalies.
Hope it helps! 😊
1
1

Atul’s Answer

If you are good at Math and have analytical skills, consider a job to write software (C, Python, etc.) which will open the door for any cybersecurity company. You can also consider analytics/machine-learning algorithms if you are good at Math as Data Scientist.
Get a degree in Math and/or Computer Science, and this will open up the horizon for almost any job in the cybersecurity industry.
1
1

Megan’s Answer

With the high risk of cyber attacks, almost every company has it's own cyber security team these days. Cyber security is the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. It can be divided into several categories: network security; application security; information security; operational security; disaster recovery and business continuity; and end user education. There are several types of cyber threats: cybercrime; cyber-attacks; and cyberterrorism. For a cybersecurity developer/pin tester: time is spent meeting with team members to better understand what is being worked on; performing penetration tests on computer systems, networks, and applications; creating testing methods to identify vulnerabilities; performing physical security assessments of systems; pinpointing methods and entry points that attackers may use; researching solutions with the engineering teams; and establishing improvements for existing security services.
Thank you comment icon Thank you Megan for your helpful response. Sumitra Biswal
1
1

Damon’s Answer

As the orginal question mentions there are a number of different sub domains in the field of cyber-security. From my perspective they fall into several broad categories:

- Security solutions developers including subject matter experts in a particular aspect of security
- Security program managment including cyber-risk management, policy governance and compliance
- Operational security experts focusing on cyber-defense, penetration testing and ethical hacking

In order to provide a good list of daily activities it is worth understanding that I have spent about 15 years as a security product manager. This is a slight twist on the security solutions developer as it is more of a business focused role. My day to day tasks include:

- Working on Business Requirements for security products and security features
- Working with sales and customers to solve particular security and compliance use cases
- Working with operations to ensure that contracted customers services are being delivered inline with customer expectation
- Working with marketing and proposal service to make sure the documentation and sales materials are upto date
- Working with sourcing, legal with a specific focus on inbound partnerships
- Working with finance and program managemnt to make sure that the necessary funding is available for my products
- Reporting on the overall health of the products and helping manage the product life-cycle.

Not all of these activities happen every day but they are a good list of general responsibilities.

1
1

Clarissa’s Answer

Cybersecurity specialists are highly in demand, especially in the current landscape with increase cyber crimes, and innovation of malicious actors. I would recommend for you to complete your first degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. You may wish to move on to take up a career in IT field. And, enroll in cybersecurity certification program. I know of of one such organization, (ISC)², which is an international, nonprofit membership association for information security professionals. They help members learn, grow and thrive in the cybersecurity field.
1
0

Sheila’s Answer

Hi Sam:

As others have shared some good advice, specifically Melanie, here's an article I found that may be helpful to you. The specific job responsibilities for any given cyber security role can also depend on the size and resources of the employer. At a smaller or mid-size firm, you might end up being a ‘jack of all trades,’ while at a larger firm you’re more likely to have specialists.

Cyber security professionals can benefit from starting as generalists and then specializing in an area of interest or strength. These areas can include:

• Application security
• Data loss prevention
• Forensics
• Incident response
• Network security
• Security architecture
• Threat intelligence
• Vulnerability management

Good luck to you!

Sheila recommends the following next steps:

Types of Cybersecurity Roles • https://www.snhu.edu/about-us/newsroom/stem/cyber-security-roles
0
0

Melanie’s Answer

I am currently a Senior Cybersecurity Engineer with a large company that offers managed security services for customers. While my tasks primarily focus on provisioning security services for customers and guiding them on proper security practices, the actual work that I do daily varies widely (which is one of the things I love about it). Daily I am able to work with our customers to help them with securing their company environments, work with a wide variety of security and non-security vendors and services, work with various engineering and product teams on improvements to our products and back-end development, and also within our teams for our threat analysts and security center operations. All of the people I work with also have varying jobs and tasks, all still related to cybersecurity in some way, shape, or form.
One of the benefits, and potentially drawbacks, of working in cybersecurity is that variety. There are soo many different ways to be involved with this domain, it really falls back on what you find interesting and want to keep doing. And while that very likely will continue to change as you, and the industry, continue to change, the more you learn and innovate yourself the more dynamic it becomes. You could very well carve out your own position with your own tasks within a company, or the position you may have some day may not even exist right now. One of my favorite things to say when I'm asked where I see myself in 5 or 10 years is that "I don't think the position even exists right now".
0