Anna K.’s Avatar

Anna K.

921

13

How do I narrow down my interests in college?

Hi everyone! The one thing that excites me the most about college is getting to study what I'm interested in and taking all sorts of amazing classes. The only problem is, my interests are super diverse! I love math and science, but I'm also interested in French, economics, and music.The colleges I applied to all give me the opportunity to explore different classes through electives, but I doubt I could explore so many interests on top of extracurricular activities and undergraduate research (which I'm also interested in). I'm having a hard time narrowing things down because I couldn't imagine myself not studying any one of those subjects. Music is what I'm most concerned about. No matter if I'm taking a class or pursuing it as an extracurricular/hobby, the performing arts are definitely notorious for being time-consuming.

Sorry if I sound unfocused! I'm genuinely interested in lots of different fields. Obviously, not all of my interests will go towards my career goal, but I'm not sure how to pick and choose among them.

My general question is, how do I prioritize my activities and focus my interests? #college #science #college-major #music #research #math #economics #foreign-languages

That's actually a great question and I'm sure a lot of people struggle with this issue in college. I eventually earned a master's degree in math and then became an actuary, which combines math, economics, finance, and computer skills. However, I started out in college as a music major, thinking I wanted a career in a symphony orchestra.

In my case, I eventually realized that becoming a professional musician took a lot of real hard work and it was super competitive, so I decided to make a change after my second year. I guess what I am saying is that at some point you probably need to decide on which subjects where you will focus most of your efforts. If you are already musically talented, there are many opportunities in most cities to participate in various community bands, orchestras, or singing groups, as I did for several years after college. It was a lot of fun and interestingly, there were a lot of people I met in those groups whose "day jobs'" were scientists, engineers, teachers, lawyers, etc.

Sorry for the long and rambling answer, but I hope it helped. Good luck!

Last updated Jan 18 '17 at 22:48

Anna:

I would recommend taking multiple career aptitude tests and seeing what the results are. I had always taken for granted that I would study business because that's what literally EVERYONE in my family has done. Always. But by the time I was a Sophmore in college, I felt pulled in a million different directions and found subjects like art, teaching, and politics all more interesting.

I ended up taking nearly a dozen* assessments in order to see what different algorithms would create for me. Almost everyone listed medicine as a strong suit which was a HUGE surprise. But honestly, I love it and have been able to combine medicine and teaching successfully.

Odds are your school will have tests that you can take for free if you reach out to a guidance counselor, the US Dept of Labor also has one for free (https://www.mynextmove.org/) and I've also heard good things about this test (https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test)

*You don't need to take 12 btw, I just tended to freak out a lot when I was unsure of my future career path. Still do.

Last updated Jan 19 '17 at 00:55

French and music can be learnt without going to school, or as leisure activities. Maths is a component of economics and you love science too...then you should go study Agricultural economics, where maths, economics and science is combined

Last updated Jan 17 '17 at 02:27

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Collegeboard.org is a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.</span>

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• <span style="background-color: transparent;">Chat with your Guidance Counselor</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Create a Collegeboard.org account</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Start using CollegeBoard as a resource to look up schools.</span>

Last updated Apr 04 at 13:31