What steps would you recommend I take to prepare to enter Film & Editors

I've been interested in movies and videos and thought about being a Film & Video editor. I've been recently editing and making music, I have a few songs so being a film or video editor is good with music on certain scenes . I want to scale up and be a producer, edit and produced the biggest films and music. What are the most effective strategies for seeking a position in this field and what are the steps to become a great Film & Video Editor. film music acting music-industry film-acting

2
Pros
2
0

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Aaron,

I think that you are well on your way to getting a job in video editing by practicing. Practice also allows you to learn about your own perspective on how video editing should be done. In other words, it is your voice. So continue to practice that. I think that you should consider how you see yourself working with video. Film is a very lofty and competitive industry with a lot of options - from major studios to independent studios. Television and streaming services are very powerful places to do video editing. I would offer that you should not limit yourself to film as video is becoming a powerful tool in this more video focused world. I am thinking about marketing and advertising as another area where you can use video and musical talents at a high level.

Finally you should consider how to grow your video skills through formal education. It does not have to be an expensive film school. I would say that interacting with others trying to achieve the same goal is powerful. You can learn what your strengths are and what you may still need to learn. In this day and age, you need to be networking with people who are also entering or already in the industry.

Gloria
2
Students
2
0

Colby’s Answer

The best advice I can give aside from what Gloria wrote is just to keep doing it. Find some people who want to create and just make things. Every project you will learn something else and have more for your reel. While you are young and getting in, use that youthful energy to make connections and just get projects done. The more connections you can make now, the more it will help down the line. Editors is one of the positions in the film industry that always has openings for work. If you make the move to Los Angeles, there are tons of jobs there to break into the industry right out of school. But the best thing to do is just create, help on others projects, make your own, just work on getting faster and more detail oriented. And the best thing to do is spread the wings, learn After Effects, try to learn multiple programs, get the skill set to put yourself in a positions to beat others out. And then work on a great reel, show off your work.
0