How long should you delay meeting with a recruiter that reached out to you?

A recruiter recently reached out to me about a possible position because someone from the company referred her to me. I never applied for this specific position, I'm actually waiting to hear back about another position I interviewed for at this same company.

I also had someone on LinkedIn who saw my profile and wanted to reach out to know more about my interests/experiences. I never applied for anything at this company .

Both of these people requested to have a brief phone call interview just to get to know me and if I have any interest in the positions they offer. I'd like to meet with them but my schedule it really busy for the next 2 weeks due to my commute and finals week. How long should I delay meeting with them? Is it ok to ask them to contact me after 2 weeks considering I never applied to what they are contacting me for? career job-search job recruiter

6
Pros
6
0

Naomi’s Answer

If you are interested, I would say respond very promptly (1-2 days). This will let them know you are interested in hearing more about the opportunity. You can let them know that you have a busy schedule with finals and would be available for an interview after they are completed.
0

Sylvia’s Answer

Hi Sam, I would suggest not to delay the call with them if you really want to get this position. Being busy isn't a very valid reason because they might be as busy as you are, and how you are able to manage your time is also something recruiter might be looking at. Phone interview is mostly just to understand more about you and if they think your personality suits them, they should arrange for interview in person later on. If you think what you are currently busy with is much more important than this job, you could put less effort in preparing this interview, which then wouldn't take you too much time, and I think it will better than asking them to delay the phone interview 2 weeks later.
0

Jesse’s Answer

Hey, it is great that you are generating interests for different opportunities. Some questions I would ask myself in this situation are: When am I looking for taking up a role like this (if I am graduating and am a week out from finals, job opportunities may be one of the highest priorities for me); are there other opportunities that are also available that I can potentially fill; is this particular opportunity something I am interested in.

That said, the company could be pretty motivated to find someone for their position especially since they reached out to you. And while I would highly suggest finding an opportunity that is flexible with your needs outside of work, it is probably best to try getting back to recruiters within a week to set up follow up action (application, interview, quick discussion, etc.) within a week from the time you acknowledge their interests.

For your question regarding waiting 2 weeks, this might be fine; however, without having the chance to get to know your besides your resume, their is definitely a chance that the company has already advanced with other candidates.
0

Aaron’s Answer

If it is legal to take a phone call while driving in your state then that's an option. Truthfully, recruiters are looking to hire fast. There's a recruiting process. It sounds like this is just the initial screening so really these are low pressure types of discussions. I take calls like these all the time while driving. I just let them know I'm driving so sorry about the noise. They understand. All they're doing is wanting to double check you're a good candidate for the interview team by going over your possible interest in a new job, maybe getting a quick feel for if you have relevant experience.
If you say contact me in 2 weeks it's fine, but 90% of the time they'll move on.

Especially if it's recruiters from LinkedIn, they really just cast a net and see who responds first. They typically get all the bites they need so 2 week requests are just going to go into their archive message folder as they move forward.
0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Sam,
I think contact them back as soon as you can, answer the questions they have for you at this time, and let them know what your schedule looks like for any follow up interviews. I think scheduling two weeks out should not be a problem, but answering them to communicate that as soon as you can (between 1-3 days) would be best, in my opinion!
0

Lisa’s Answer

As mentioned above, I would respond quickly to acknowledge, and then set expectations on your availability. Please be open and transparent. If 2 weeks out is an issue for them, they will soon let you know.
0