How to ask about next steps after 2 weeks?

I recently applied for an intern position at a large company. 2 weeks ago I had an interview for this position. The "interviewer" was actually someone from their university relations team who used to be an intern but now works full time for the company. This person actually helps plan a lot of the intern events and has another position at the company the same time. It was laid back and they just asked about my interests/why I want to work for them, a get to know me type of thing (went great we actually went over scheduled time). They told me there are 4 rounds: application, get to know you interview (the interview I had with them), technical, and behavioral. I was told I could expect to hear back in 2 weeks. Tomorrow will be more than 2 weeks and if I don't get a response I want to reach out to the person I interviewed with. They have mentioned that they will not be making the final call but if I have any questions about the internship to reach out to them. I want to ask them if I made it to the next round but I'm not sure what to say/ask. How could I write the email? interview recruiter job career intern

(Also if you are a recruiter reading this, are decisions delayed over holidays like Thanksgiving? University's might be on break but how does it work for recruiters/applications)

9
Pros
9
0

Sam if you think you nailed that interview or the "interviewer" said, "Keep in touch," don't just sit and wait for the phone to ring with a job offer. Instead, be proactive. There are things you should do after a job interview that can increase the odds of getting a second interview or intern position. Decisions about candidates are often made quickly, so it's important to send your follow-up email immediately, the same day if possible. You want your interviewers to remember you. The follow-up email doesn’t have to be long. Keep it succinct, thank the interviewer for taking the time to speak with you, and also, note anything you wish you had said to your interviewer but didn't get the opportunity to tell them. That way, if you get a second interview, you can make a note to mention these items:
• How you believe the position is an excellent fit and you would welcome the opportunity to join their organization. Include a brief summary of one or two sentences indicating why the position is an excellent match given your technical and interests.
• Supply any additional information that will address areas of concern you were unable to fully address during the interview. For example, you might want to include a work sample demonstrating your competence in a key area of employer concern.
• Express your appreciation for the opportunity to meet, and if possible, compose slightly different personalized emails for each person rather than just copy/pasting the whole letter. Note something helpful that was shared with you by each individual. This is a nice touch—you definitely want to leave a good impression on all parties involved for you to be memorable.
• You can show your commitment to the company and get to know employees by searching for the interviewer and staff members on social media and connecting with them. Reaching out to the interviewer can show them your dedication to the role and helps you stand out from other applicants.
• Your interviewer may contact your references immediately following the interview to learn more about your experience and skills. If you haven’t already, send them a message after the interview to inform them that they are listed as a reference and may be contacted soon.

Sam when the interviewer’s follow-up date has passed, you can send a follow-up message to the interviewer. You can professionally request an update on the position and ask if they need any additional information from you.

Hope this is helpful Sam
Hi John, thank you for the feedback. I wrote them a thank you note after the interview I had with them and reached out for an update. I made it to the final interview! Sam S.
Life is an echo Sam. What you send out comes back. What you sow you reap. What you give you get. What you see in others exists in you. Regardless of who you are or what you do, if you are looking for the best way to reap the most reward in all areas of life, you should look for the good in every person and in every situation and adopt the golden rule as a way of life. Congratulations Sam John Frick
Thank You Brandon. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” — William Shakespeare John Frick
3
Pros
2
0
Students
1
0

Miko’s Answer

Hi Sam! Lets claim your victory NOW! Have you submitted a thank you letter after your interview? If not its ok but try reaching out now to let the interviewer know you are still interested in the position and also thanking them for the opportunity. Dont wait until your time runs out get the letter to them ASAP!
Hi Miko, thank you for the feedback. I wrote them a thank you note after the interview I had with them and reached out for an update. I made it to the final interview! Sam S.
Outstanding! Its already done! Bring an updated thank you letter with you for your final interview! Miko Baldwin
0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Sam,
I have found just reaching out to this recruiter with a follow up email such as "Hello, it was great meeting you at [the event]. I really enjoyed our talk and was really excited to learn about [xyz]. I was hoping to follow up regarding any additional steps I need to take? Is there any additional information needed from me at this time?" Something like this just to get you some attention that you take it seriously, are excited about this opportunity, and are waiting to hear back. Then they can answer you if you can expect any additional steps. Good luck!
0

Clarissa’s Answer

Hi Sam, great questions! In professional business, people do get paid holidays and may not respond during their vacations. They may also still be doing a few more initial interviews before proceeding. I always wait either a week or the time frame they gave me (so for you that would be your two weeks) and then I write an email if I haven’t heard back. Start the email by thanking them for taking the time for interviewing you. Express how you feel about the company, and then ask an opened ended question. This leaves the ball in their park for them to respond. So typically my emails would look something like this:

Hello (name),

Thank you for taking the time to interview me on (date). I enjoyed talking to you about (company) and really love (something about the company)! When should I expect to hear back about the technical portion of the interview process?

Best Regards,
(Your name)
0

GOPIPRASAD’s Answer

Start the email by thanking them for taking the time for interviewing you. Explain what you really liked about the company, why you are excited about the role, what as an individual you specifically can help them to solve and then ask when you can expect to receive any additional instructions about next steps. This leaves the ball in their park for them to respond. Wish you good luck.!!
0

Susie’s Answer

Lots of great answers here! I'd also add that another way to reach out and ask for a next step is to look for a reason to reconnect. Hopefully you learned something in the interview that your interviewer is interested in or that the two of you have in common. If not, look them up on LinkedIn and find something there. Then reach out with a gentle and genuine note and ask how the process is going.

Here's an example:

Hi, [interviewer] -
Thanks again for interviewing me for the [insert title] role two weeks ago!
I'm writing to check in, since I'm sure you have a lot going on, and also because I just noticed on your LinkedIn profile that you volunteer with [insert organization]. I've been looking for an opportunity to support a group I'm passionate about, and I'd really appreciate any information you have on getting involved with them.

I look forward to hearing next steps in the interview process and any tips for getting involved with [insert organization]!

*******
You could also search for a recent article that talks about something you know they're interested in and send it over saying, "This article made me think of you. Hope you find it as interesting as I did!"

Good luck with your internship!
0

Whitney’s Answer

Hi Sam,

Yes, I am always a proponent of over-communication as opposed to under-communication. If I were you, I would definitely write an email thanking the interviewer for their time (the same day ideally, but in this situation as soon as you can). Also, a hand written card thanking them also goes a long way. I think doing both will keep your name in front of them and let them know that you are eager to get the position and are wanting to help their company. The more personal and specific your letter/email is, the better, too. Mention a reason you enjoyed the conversation, why you are excited about the role, and the problem you specifically can help them to solve.

Best of luck to you!
0

Clarissa’s Answer

Hi Sam, great questions! In professional business, people do get paid holidays and may not respond during their vacations. I always wait either a week or the time frame they gave me (so for you that would be your two weeks) and then I write an email if I haven’t heard back. Start the email by thanking them for taking the time for interviewing you. Express how you feel about the company, and then ask an opened ended question. This leaves the ball in their park for them to respond. So typically my emails would look something like this:

Hello (name),

Best Regards,
(Your name)
0

Glynis’s Answer

Hello Sam
So much great info here, great job on making it to the final interview.
I'm probably repeating - but make sure to send a thank you note after your final interview. Make sure to re-iterate WHY you're excited to have the role, and WHY you would be the perfect candidate. Also thank them for the time they've spent with you and for making the interview process such a great experience.
If, you should not get an offer, take the learnings from this interview process.

Interviews are a place for us to Marketing ourselves - and with every interview we get better at presenting ourselves and our experiences.
Good luck and all the best.
0