8

I need advice on what jobs I should look into if I have a bachelors degree in psychology. What are unique jobs to look into with this background that are do not require higher educations such as a Masters?

I just recently graduated with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Legal Studies. I am a creative and outgoing person, so I want my job to match this. I also have struggled finding a job that does not require higher education or that pays an adequate enough amount. #psychology

8

2

A Bachelor's degree in ANY field is a foot in the door for most entry-level positions. May I ask what it was you had in mind when you got the degree?

I think the creative and outgoing part would go well in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry. Large hotels host conventions and there's a lot of planning that goes into that. Or, perhaps something on a cruise ship? Flight attendant?

Legal Studies? Difficult to get jobs directly in the legal field unless you are a Paralegal or Attorney. That being said, there are administrative positions, even call center positions screening incoming calls for large firms. Perhaps something in Litigation Support Services? Or maybe working in advocacy/outreach?

Jobs that pay well? Not sure, but, wages are really up right now. Banking/credit unions?

The world is open to you. Literally. Your task is to come up with a resume and cover letter that shows you are a good fit for the position. What experience do you have - work/volunteer/internship? Writing a winning resume is a challenge. If you'd like more info on that, let me know!

Right now, you need to get your FIRST job - it's not a lifetime commitment. Get a job, get some experience, and in a couple of years, start looking again. That's often the way people move up.

Kim
2
1

Zahid’s Answer

If you have a bachelor's degree in psychology, you can work in a variety of industries and specific jobs. Consider these common industries for psychology majors:

Health care: While practicing clinical psychologists almost always need an advanced degree to see patients, there are still many positions in the health care field for those with a bachelor's degree in psychology.

Management and administration: Psychology helps you learn how people think and react. A degree in psychology is highly useful to those in managerial or administrative positions.

Accounting and finance: Since much of the training and coursework psychology majors do in college is data and research-based, these skills translate well to the accounting and finance sector.

Retail and sales: Salespeople often perform well when they understand their customers' motivations and desires, which is a substantial part of an education in psychology.

Social work: Social workers often use psychological tools to help their clients overcome obstacles and improve their lives.

Advertising and marketing: Many advertisers and marketers rely on psychology to create effective marketing and advertising campaigns for their business or clients.

Human resources: One of the primary goals of human resources is to support their company's personnel. Understanding the needs and wants of the individual employees in the organization is beneficial for this sector.

Given your subjects of studies, I would think some sort of legal field that requires analyzing human behavior may be more up your alley, such as in law enforcement.

With that said, here's some high-paying jobs with a bachelor's degree in psychology:
https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/high-paying-jobs-with-a-bachelors-in-psychology
1
0

Melanie’s Answer

Many people have said this in their answers and it was the first thing that came to my mind: Human Resources.

Every company has an HR function or representative, no matter what size. It's a highly needed and highly employable profession. A psychology degree can help with the "people" part of the job, and strong organizational and strategic thinking skills can help with business planning and support responsibilities.
0
0

Anup’s Answer

Hello - There are a lot of options for you and it all depends on what you want to do in future. My wife completed her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and worked in an Autism Center for a year before starting Masters's Degree in Clinical Psychology.

Good Luck!
Anup
0
0

Dana’s Answer

You might think about what kind of career you want in 10 years. Because you can use this degree to get your first job in most departments, and then could transition into other departments within an industry if you wanted to. For example, I had an English degree, my first job was marketing but then I moved into strategy and product design within my industry.

Are you going to want to go back to school at some point for another degree? If so, you might choose a skill that would compliment the future degree.

But if you aren't really sure, that's ok! The most important thing is to take a step, almost any step! You'll get more information as you try!

Without knowing your complimentary interests, here are some departments and industry types you might consider: substance abuse/mental health companies, HR, marketing/strategy, business
0
0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Emma,
You can possibly do a case management job if you want to work with clients in some capacity. You can also be a care coordinator at some jobs. Try checking out indeed and putting your credentials in and see what kind of jobs come up for you. Good luck!
0
0

Robson’s Answer

In the creative advertising industry, a psychology degree lends itself well to a strategy and/or planning role! You may interview users and consumers, plan to do research, and analyze market trends. I would also look into User Experience Research.
0
0

Jagoda’s Answer

Hi,

You could consider applying for various business positions. Psychology skills and knowledge are useful in many areas. Let me give you a few examples from a larger organization:

- learning and development - some companies have departments in charge of designig learning path for employees. You could be a soft skill trainer teaching other how to e.g. give feedback or manage difficult conversations. Or you could be learning and devlopment expert idenitfying training needes, building curriculum and assessing the efficiency of training.

- HR - there are many fuctions that require deep understanding of the employee and candidate. You could manage the onboarding process, design diversity and inclusion policies or be a talent pool analyst. Please keep in mind that smaller businesses have usuall am HR generalist role that does a bit of eveeyhting including payroll.

- employer branding - you could help your organization attract top talent and promote the brand among students and graduates. This role can require some markering and communication skills

- recruitment/ talent acquisition - you could create a pool of candidates, screen and recruit them. Right now recruiters with an additional domain knowledge (like law) are in very high demand.

-sales - if you have good communication and interpersonal skills this can be a terrific option bringing very good bonus to the salary. I highly recommend grabbing a book by Cialdini - he provides multiple examples how business and psychology mix together and whan can you do to be persuasive, get better deals and be influential.
0