5

Since I was a child, I've wanted to be an architect, interior designer, and engineer because I've always been fascinated by the numerous things I could build, such as airplanes and buildings. But, in order to attain this goal, I'd like to know what courses in college I need take to get there. Such as the programs and requirements I'll need to achieve that goal. Could someone with experience in this field please assist me?

I'd also like to play D1 or D2 softball in college. I've also heard that having a degree in engineering isn't worth it, but I'd really like to do it.

5

0

Leilani,
One thing I notice is that it appears you have an eye towards design. An engineering degree can open a lot of doors for you, as can an architectural degree. Both are hard. Engineers who are artistic are a bit rare, as most engineers focus on the function with little regard for aesthetics, but product design combines both. Architecture combines aesthetics and function as well. I recommend you consider these fields and ask your guidance counselor. They know a lot of people and what they do for a living and perhaps can help set up a job shadow for a day with a product designer or an architect. You can also ask your counselor about what courses to take and about taking dual-credit courses while in high school to lessen your college course load. Your preparations in high school would likely be the same for either field or any other branch of engineering.
I hope this helps!
0
0

Mary Paige’s Answer

Hello there. First in order to play sports at a D1 or D2 level you need to register with the NCAA. Your school counselor should be able to give you some guidance there if you need it. There are some scholarships out there for softball. Second architecture and engineering will have very common classes in mind. If you are still in high school you might check out doing concurrent enrollment where you can take college classes and get not only college credit but also high school credit. It’s an awesome opportunity. Your senior year you will apply to colleges that you have selected. The first two years are pretty much your basics like composition and political science and public speaking and psych and several others. Then you will get into your major. You will take a great deal of math with an engineering degree and also with architecture. Not to mention some computer classes as well. Please feel free to ask more questions if you would like. Have a great year.
0
0

Stella’s Answer

Leilani, any type of engineering degree will open lots of doors to you. Engineering degree will also pay your bills in the future. I believe if you have passion for creating you should follow it. I will not sugar coat that it is easy path to get engineering degree...yet it does pay out in the end. Follow your passion and each door you step through will lead to a new door with more opportunities. To your question on course work in college, for any engineering degree mathematics including
Calculus, physics, programming are a must, the rest is other basic subject to fill up your schedule.
Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions.
0
0

James’s Answer

Often engineering and Architecture go hand in hand. Architects do the design work and drawings for their clients and then engineers review the structural design to make sure the building meets all the required codes. There is a vast array of education opportunities where you can pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, architecture, interior design, construction management interior design and environmental planning. Many times you can combine these disciplines to give yourself more flexibility. As an example, I have a 4 year degree in architecture and some of my classmates continued on to get a master's degree in construction management. I also have a friend who has their undergraduate and masters in architecture and then went on and added a degree in furniture design. The key is to follow your interests and look at different colleges to see what programs they offer.
0