7

What type of animation jobs have flexible hours + stable pay?

Hello, everyone. While I researched animation roles, I learned that some workers may work long hours/overtime, or that animators work project-to-project.

The fact that some people may go through a period of no work with studios or experience high levels of burnout troubles me (as that is something I want to avoid). In the future, I want a stable job with enough time to have a personal life.

So, I wanted to know:
- How do animators find a stable job with a good work/life balance?

- What jobs do animators have in-between projects, such as when they finish working on a film?

Thank you comment icon Hello Tatiana! I would suggest you to watch a "Typical day" of a Professional Animatior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIbIRTnyCzg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiNoYlVVMg Nicole Pugachenko

7

1

Joe’s Answer

Hello Tatiana,
Home this reply finds you well, totally get your concern, if you are aspiring to have a career in arts, my best advise would be to cover all your bases, as you stated the field is unsteady and though it may produce quite a large income based on the project you may hit, or work on he best thing while in the field is to invest your earnings, if you do your research most people in the art industry, actors, singers, animators, etcetera do not have a stable job and have several side investments, some go into retail, food industry, real estate or go into producing, but all without exception have a side investment, as you move and grow in the industry as soon as you start creating revenue I would as stated invest.
now on to the field it self, the animation field is broad and can cover several corners, voice, drawing, editing, writing you name it, the more you get involved in the field the more you will be exposed and your demand will grow, specially if you are good at what you do and you are open to other "corners" as stated in the field, even if you get involved on small projects you still will have exposure, specially now at days where indie films are being more recognized.
;-)
Hope this helps, do not loose faith in your dream and do all you can to be the best at what you do!
All best
Joe
Thank you comment icon Hello! Thank you for your response, Joe. I appreciate the encouragement & I will keep the invest/side revenue tips in mind too. :) Tatiana
Thank you comment icon that was very helpful and insightful, thank you. Deandra
1
1

Hi Tatiana,

Great question! My background is in learning and development, specifically learning design, so I thought I'd answer your question through that lens. As you probably figured out, there are tons of professional opportunities that require professional animators. One of those areas is most certainly within the learning and development space. In my career I have worked on several projects that require us to create digital training solutions for hundreds, thousands, sometimes even millions of users. To do so, we often leverage animations to communicate complex information or concepts using more digestible components such as animated videos. In addition, animation skills are highly valuable when creating simulations or gamified learning experiences. Here's an article from the Association for Talent Development if you're interested in learning more about how we leverage animation in the learning and development world: https://www.td.org/insights/how-to-use-animations-for-learning

Overall, I would suggest continuing to explore how animation skills can be applied across industries from entertainment to learning and development and beyond. There may also be opportunities to get certifications or training in those specific industries to give you a chance to see if you like the nature of the work. Many of the teams I have worked on have full-time roles for instructional designers, learning experience designers, and multimedia developers which includes people that focus primarily on animation.

Best of luck in your journey!

David
Thank you comment icon Hello David! I didn't know animation could be used for learning. Thank you for introducing me to something new. :) Tatiana
1
1

Cheryl’s Answer

Hi Tatiana,

This is a great question!

I would have to say that in most industries, you should be able to find an animation job that has flexible hours and pay. Especially during the pandemic, it has open up doors for employees to gain more of a work + life balance. If flexible hours and pay are your most important factors when finding a job, you can dig more for those types of jobs when applying. A positive work culture at an organization/company will embrace flexibility with stable pay and good benefits.
Thank you comment icon Hi Cheryl! Thank you for your response. That's good to know. : ) Tatiana
Thank you comment icon You're welcome. :) Cheryl Guerrero
1