You must earn a master's degree in marriage and family therapy before you can practice in this field. If you enroll in a graduate program, you will learn about marriage, families, and relationships and how they function and affect mental and emotional disorders. You will have to participate in a supervised practical learning experience, such as an internship, to complete your degree. To be admitted to a program, you need a bachelor's degree, but it does not have to be in any particular area of study.
In addition to a degree, you will also need a license to practice marriage and family therapy.
It requires getting two years of clinical experience under a licensed therapist's supervision and passing a state-recognized exam. To maintain licensure, you will need to complete continuing education courses annually. State regulatory boards issue licenses. See the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards website for a list of state-recognized boards
- Marriage and family therapists earned a median annual salary of $48,040 in 2014. Hourly earnings were $23.10.
- In 2014, slightly fewer than 34,000 people worked in this field.
- Jobs were in mental health centers, hospitals, colleges and private therapy practices.
- Most marriage and family therapists work full time and their hours include weekends and evenings.
- The outlook for this occupation is excellent. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics classifies this as a "Bright Outlook" occupation because they predict employment will grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2024.
Family Counselling Centre is a not-for-profit, community-based agency that provides Sarnia-Lambton residents with a variety of professional counselling, support, prevention and coordination services.
Our Vision: Strong and supportive communities comprised of healthy individuals, families and relationships.
Our Mission: To assist, educate and strengthen individuals, families and community through programs, partnerships and resources.
Volunteer with the Family Counselling Centre:
More volunteer opportunities: