How does graduate school work?

Asked Auburn, Georgia

I am confused about what goes in graduate school. I understand that it's usually taken after going to college and sometimes you have to take a test to get into one, depending on your career choice or the degree you're seeking, right? #graduate-school #clinical-psychology #counseling-psychology #clinical-psychologist

Rose’s Answer

Updated Ashburn, Virginia

Some students apply to grad school before finishing undergrad. My husband was recruited into a GIS master's program by his then-current undergrad advisor. He was not required to complete any exams, essays, or interviews.

Often, work experience is required to gain admission. I started business school six years after college. I had to take the GMAT (specific to business), write essays, get recommendations, do a presentation, and be interviewed.

The GRE is a common exam for grad school admission. Other exams include the LSAT for law school and the MCAT for medical school.

Shawn A.’s Answer

Hi Angela - Graduate school is like a more specialized college. You pick a specific topic/subject and focus your studies on that, for example, in a PhD or Masters program. Alternatively, you can choose a professional school (Law, Veterinary, or Medicine) for graduate school. That trains you for a career in those fields given they require specific licenses. Which school is best really depends on the subject you are interested in, and even then, the specific sub-area you want to focus on in your work.

For example, there are a lot of law schools. But, if you were interested in being an Intellectual Property attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area, Santa Clara University has a strong program in that field.

As for the tests, you are right. Different programs have different testing requirements. Business schools ("MBAs") require the GMAT. Law schools require the LSAT. Med Schools require the MCAT. etc etc.

Ok thank you, this helped.

Madeline’s Answer

Updated Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Hi Angela,

It's great that you are looking into graduate school! You are correct in that each graduate program can vary depending upon the college, location, coursework, the degree you're seeking, and more. There are also many different options offered, such as graduate certificates, Master's programs, and Ph.D. programs. Each may have different credit requirements in order to graduate. Generally, graduate education can be seen as a more specified look at your chosen field, so many of your decisions will be related to your future goals and aspirations. What are you looking to study? If you are interested in psychology, as indicated by the topic tags, I would recommend reaching out to professionals in that field in order to learn more about the paths they took to get to where they are today. You may also want to look into different organizations, such as the American Psychological Association. They have resources available to provide you with more information regarding options for graduate school and beyond. It may also be helpful to seek out requirements in your state, or the state you wish to move to, as credentials may vary based on location. Overall, there are many different options for graduate education, so it's ultimately about finding a school/program that will work best for you.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

Madeline

Thank you this helped