Cindy T.’s Avatar

Cindy T.

96

1

What types of careers need artistic ability?

I am currently a sophomore in high school and I have no idea what I want to do in the future. Preferably, I would like to work in a field that is art related but I am intimidated by that idea because I've been told that this type of career is risky and the pay isn't very high. However, I heard that careers that combine science and art is much better than art alone. I keep on debating what types of careers and majors I would like to do, such as marketing, graphic design, possibly teaching, engineering, etc.

#art #artist #engineer #engineering #science #design #graphic-design

Cindy, I think it is great that you are considering your future at this time and would encourage you to try different classes and workshops in a variety of disciplines. At this point I would suggest focusing on exploring the subjects and experiences where you find yourself really engaged and engrossed. These will be important bits of information as time goes on. I have a background in fine art and geography, eventually I found designing landscapes and other spaces for clients. Now I work with other creative business owners to build their businesses. Although at times my journey has not been obviously, it has helped that I continue to learn new skills and check in with myself. For you there is a good chance that you could find a position that does not even exist today. Enjoy the exploration!
Last updated Oct 01 '17 at 08:14 AM
Well, great question. You can be a fine artist (painter, sculptor, installation artist), graphic designer, Illustrator, animator (working on commercials and movies), an industrial designer (working on products from cars to spaceships and everything in between), a furniture designer, an architect, a user experience, user interface or visual designer working on software products. Be mindful that it’s not about making the most money, although if you work doing something you love and earn lots of money that the best situation you could find. Best of luck. I’m happy to provide resources if you stay in touch.
Last updated Oct 01 '17 at 08:01 AM
Dear Cindy, Besides the technical and industry opportunities, you might also explore options in the service or health care industry. Art therapist, art teacher, fashion designer, furniture maker are but a few areas you might explore. Thinking about what type of mediums you find fulfilling or enjoyable are also important. Do you like to paint, draw, use the computer, etc? Is there a particular subject matter you focus on or is important to you? All of these questions might be answered the more you expose yourself to the information you discover through research. Visit galleries and museums to see what excites you. Talk to people involved in these organizations: curators, teachers, designers. As you get older you may find the opportunity to volunteer at a location that will give you a feel for theat type of work and the routine and environment you would be working in. Good luck. I have used my passion for art and skill set in many different capacities: display manager in the retail environment, creating wall murals in homes and businesses, teaching painting and drawing in long-term care settings/nursing homes and as a free lance artist exhibiting my work in galleries and outdoor art fairs. Good luck, if you have a creative soul, find ways to express it and you will have a happier and fulfilling life.
Last updated Oct 06 '17 at 04:38 PM
Hi Cindy, Working as a professional artist can be very rewarding but it can also be very volatile. Many artists work from project to project but there are also many opportunities for more stable employment as well. For example, if you work on a movie production you might just be employed for that one feature. Working for an art production company might provide more employment stability but then you would need to be prepared to work on a wide variety of different projects with different styles. Many video game companies have in-house art talent though there is a of work that gets outsourced to other companies. I've been fortunate to have worked for EA for 4 years and now at Zynga for more than 7. It all depends on what you want to do but there are all kinds of opportunities for stable employment in the arts. Arts and technology can definitely be a good combination for gainful employment. Having a technical background can allow you to have more flexibility in your skill set and be more employable. I hope that this information helps.
Last updated Oct 02 '17 at 04:48 AM