How do you know what specialty you want to pursue during residency?

3

During #medical-school will it become easier to pick a specialty for #residency as a class will spark your interest or will an adviser help you? some schools i interviewed at said they didn't have a mentoring program to help. #medical-practice #medicine

3

Raymond’s Answer

0

In medical school, you won't just learn all of the life sciences. You will also learn about yourself and the different medical fields, especially in the 3rd and 4th years when you spend about a month rotating through various specialties. For example: do I pass out at the sight of seeing a patient being cut open? Obviously, no surgical field if you do. Do I like talking to patients? Go into psychiatry or primary care if you do, and go into radiology or anesthesia if you don't. How good are my grades in medical school? Believe it or not, this matters. Orthopedics, ophthalmology, radiology, anesthesia and dermatology require much better grades than the other fields for no better reason than the fact that they tend to be more popular and have fewer residency slots.

Personally, I didn't find the mentoring/career advisor program in medical school very helpful. Your mentor and/or advisor tends to push you to go into his/her own field or an area that the school wants to promote (e.g. primary care, research, etc.).

Raymond recommends the following next steps:

• Without knowing what stage of schooling you're in, as a next step I recommend that you study hard and get into the best possible medical school.
  • Once you're in medical school, the choices will become more clear to you and the decision easier to make.
0

John A’s Answer

0

During medical school, you will rotate on different specialties and so will be exposed to them. Also, you can still make changes after you start residency, based on what you are interested in. Good Luck!

0