A few of the University's I am looking at do not offer a pre-med major. What would be a good major to enter if the Pre-Med track is not an option(including Chemistry and Biology)do you believe I would be set back by not obtaining the pre-Med track.

Asked Lithonia, Georgia

Although I have been told it is not mandatory or entirely vital to major in Pre-Med to get into Med School.I would feel more secure in my studies if I majored in Pre-Med or something similar. What are your thoughts?

#pre-med ,#medicine #university #major #healthcare

Jennifer’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts
One of the other things I would also recommend researching are the other allied health clinical professions - especially if you see yourself as a practicing clinician provisioning direct patient care one day in the future. In additional to OT, PT and speech therapy, I would recommend checking out nursing, nurse practitioner and physician assistant (PA) school. Models are currently shifting within the healthcare space to better utilize these other types of skilled professionals as valued members of part of a comprehensive care team in office encounter settings. With the exception of DPT, formal training is typically shorter (and typically less student debt), and salaries (although not as high), are still decent, depending on locale, specialty & practice.

Jennifer’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts
Pick something that interests you that you would like, especially if things change and you don't end up going to med school. In terms of pre-med requirements, you will need 1 year bio w/labs, 1 year general chem w/labs, 1 year organic chem w/labs, 1 year physics w/labs, 1 year advanced math (usually calculus), 1 semester writing coursework. These courses are offered within liberal arts colleges within larger universities and usually result in a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree. You can also check out MMS (Master of Medical Science) programs. They're designed for students who already completed an undergrad degree but have now decided that they would like to go to medical school and need to get their pre-med requirements out of the way. Best of luck!

Shay’s Answer

Updated Denver, Colorado
Your major is completely irrelevant to premed requirements. In fact, doing something different but still challenging will set you apart from other applicants. You will likely have space to take many premed like classes, so I wouldn't be too worried.