What is the best way to prepare for a job interview?

Asked Columbus, Indiana

I would like to start practicing now so after college I'll be a pro and can hopefully land a great job #jobinterviews

Fola’s Answer

Updated Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Research the organization online and be ready to link some of your answers to any of the company's initiatives. For example, if the organization's values are on their website you can ask yourself which of the values resonate and think of ways you can express this at interview.

Ensure you use the S/TAR principle (S - Situation/Task, A - Action and R - Result) to structure the answers to your questions. Always provide context and don't assume they know what you are talking about.

Lastly on the day give yourself some pep talk. You know you are good at what you do so tell yourself that - if possible in front of a mirror! It works! Then go for your interview confident that you are going to be successful.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Carol’s Answer

Updated Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Interview prep: - Study the job description carefully, analyze exactly what they're asking for and make sure you have examples ready on how you meet those requirements - search for "frequently asked interview questions" (the ones that are asked almost every time like "tell me about yourself" or "what's your biggest weakness/strength") and have 2 minute answers prepared for those - learn how to research a company properly. Look at their company reports if they're available, press releases, major competitors, industry trends. Make sure you know who they are, what they do, and what challenges they are probably facing and demonstrate that research in the interview a few times. - Make sure you have questions ready for them at the end of the interview. I usually go in with 3 or 4 specific to the position I'm interviewing for, plus another 3 or 4 generic ones. Don't ask all of those questions, but if they ask if you have any questions make sure you have something - never leave without asking at least one (and not about salary, hours, vacation, etc in the first interview) - If your college has a career advice centre, use it. They often have opportunities to do practice interviews with the career advisors, take as many as they'll let you to get used to the process and the feeling of an interview