Do I need connections in order to get a good job?

I've seen many people get further ahead because they know somebody already in the industry jobs what-kind-of-jobs-can-i-expect networking

6
Pros
6
0

Nickesha’s Answer

Hey Tiffany!
I have heard the perspective that you need connections to get a job from many sources when I was in college. It often led to me feeling overly concern and hopeless that I would not be able to get a job without knowing "the right people." But I have not found this to be true. In fact I have never found a job through a connection and I have been able to find employment based on merit. This is not to say networking is not important and I think you should always strive to make connections when possible. But I hope you don't feel discouraged if you do not have connections in your field of interest right now. I would encourage you to focus on getting good grades in your classes, utilize the career resources you have access to through your school/university to get internship placements, sign up for volunteer opportunities that will grow your experience level and focus on creating a good resume/cover letter. Trust that those connections will emerge naturally when professors, advisers and supervisors see the excellent work you do and then they will be more than happy to recommend you for future opportunities.
Hope this helps!
-Nickesha

resume-building networking volunteering internships college new-graduates
2
Pros
1
0
Students
1
0

Kislay’s Answer

No, what you need is skills and relevant projects and experiences to demonstrate those skills to get a job. But being said that having good network of people and connections doesn't hurt, they can introduce you to a large number of opportunities but even after that what matters is your skills.

1
Pros
1
0

Ayanna’s Answer

Hi Tiffany! With or without connections, credentials and character is key to securing a career. Connections are pertinent when you are seeking guidance (mentorship) and advancement (sponsorship) throughout your career. Having a network will help you navigate through life not only professionally but also personally.

Good Luck!

gssigivesback wearecisco lovewhereyouwork

0

Neeraj’s Answer

I agree with Nickesha’s answer, if you have sound knowledge of your domain, you can get the job without any sources and connections.
However, having good connections with people already working in the industry is always good. They can help us to know about ongoing opening and opportunities, which are not possible sometimes to know from outside.
0

Toni’s Answer

I wouldn’t say need a connection but knowing someone in the industry you want to be in or even the company you want to apply for is helpful. Networking is a great way to be exposed to people in various fields of your interest. Having these connections can help get your resume directly to the hiring manager as opposed to submitting your resume online which may or may not get reviewed by anyone

0

Tom’s Answer

This is a great question Tiffany. I would suggest that having connections is not necessary to secure a good job. In my opinion, obtaining the requisite skills and education in preparation of your job search is paramount. I do agree that conducting research and making contact with others in your desired field is helpful however. Networking is certainly a critical in skill in furthering your career and influence as you look to progress from your initial role so I would still look to develop and leverage this skill moving forward. Good luck!
0

Josh’s Answer

Having connections is not required but is invaluable in defining your career path and professional development. Networking is one of the easiest things you can do to market yourself and abilities. Often times people in a position to hire are more comfortable choosing a candidate they know or have an idea of what they are getting.

Josh recommends the following next steps:

Attend socials and networking events as often as possible, it shows you are engaged and have a drive to succeed.
0

Saquib’s Answer

Referrals Are The Most Effective Way To Get Hired

If looking for mutual connections was your first thought when looking for career opportunities, then you’re on the right track. Referrals are easily the most effective way to secure a job interview and land the offer.

0