4
Asked 505 views

New start up in Science Field.

Hello all,
I am a sophomore pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in biochemistry (Medicinal Chemistry), I'm exploring potential career paths within the scientific field. My current role as a certified nursing assistant has provided valuable clinical experience, but I'm now interested in identifying alternative science-focused professions that could align with my academic background and long-term professional goals.
Could anyone please offer any insights or recommendations on how I might effectively leverage my CNA credential and biochemistry coursework to discover new science-related career options?

I'm particularly interested in learning about emerging interdisciplinary roles at the intersection of healthcare, research, and technology that could complement my existing skillset. Any advice you can provide on conducting informational interviews, identifying relevant certifications or graduate programs, or strategically networking within the scientific community would be greatly appreciated as I continue mapping out my next steps.

Thank you!

4

0

James Constantine’s Answer

Dear Keira,

Your solid foundation in science, thanks to your biochemistry background and CNA experience, puts you in a fantastic position to delve into new science-related career paths. Here's how you can utilize your skills and interests to discover these exciting opportunities:

Look at emerging interdisciplinary roles:

As a Clinical Research Associate: This role acts as the bridge between research and healthcare, coordinating clinical trials. Your CNA experience and science background could be invaluable here. Explore certification programs for clinical research associates.
As a Pharmaceutical Scientist: This role merges research, development, and testing of new drugs. Your biochemistry background could provide a strong base. Think about pursuing a Master's in Pharmaceutical Sciences to further specialize.
As a Genetic Counselor: This role blends healthcare and science to provide patients with information about genetic conditions. Your CNA background could be beneficial in patient interactions. Investigate genetic counselor certification programs.

Conduct informational interviews:

Connect with professionals in these fields on [LinkedIn](URL linked in ON LinkedIn linkedin.com).
Request a short informational interview to gain insights into their daily work and career trajectories.

Engage in networking:

Participate in science conferences or events in your vicinity.
Become a member of professional organizations like the American Chemical Society (https://www.acs.org/) or the National Institutes of Health (https://www.nih.gov/).

Additional steps to consider:

Volunteering in a research lab could provide valuable hands-on experience.
Seek out internship opportunities in science or healthcare environments.

By strategically capitalizing on your skills and exploring these avenues, you'll be well on your way to securing a fulfilling science career that resonates with your interests.

Best of luck,
JC.
0
0

bill’s Answer

That's a fascinating question you've posed! Firstly, your CNA qualification might not take you very far in most scientific fields. However, a B.S. in nursing could! The field of nursing offers a wealth of career opportunities. Progressing to a P.A. role can be both rewarding and fulfilling. Many doctor's offices, clinics, and similar establishments often use P.A.s as the primary liaison between the office and the public. In many cases, they act as the doctor in charge, not just a nurse.

In the realm of science, you might need to earn an M.A. or P.H.D. to secure a job. Many young people are eager to work in the pharmaceutical industry because these jobs often come with great pay. If you're interested in medicinal chemistry, this could be the path for you. So, buckle down, study hard, and you're sure to find a path that suits you perfectly.

Incorporating computer science into your chemistry degree could prove beneficial in the future. This combination is poised to be at the forefront of many scientific endeavors. Best of luck to you!
0