What are effective methods for handling stress?

3

From the stories I've heard about college, it can be very stressful due to the workload, exams, tuition, etc. I'm not even a college undergraduate student yet, but I am already overwhelmed with tuition. I've taken a psychology class and understand there exist 5 stages of stress. The final stage represents depression and exhaustion. I want to know what are effective methods to minimize stress and prevent myself from reaching the fifth stage in any aspect of my life.
#stress-management #stress-reduction

This might sound stupid, but if at all possible, prioritize sleep. Things get exponentially worse the more sleep-deprived you are, and while there were more than a few late nights, I never regretted going to bed at a decent time. It won't always be possible given course load, job, and social life but do try your best. The efficiency I gained by being rested almost always made up for the "lost" time. William K.
3

0

In order to manage stress you have to manage your time wisely. <span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>

Hi, Luz. I am sorry you are experiencing stress, but I went through it, too, and the best way to handle it is to pray and think positive. If you are thinking about taking psychology courses, and have already taken a psychology course, this is good because you can learn about stress, and there are also books, streaming video, that help you learn to de-stress. Do not get overwhelmed about college, it is going to be fine. I went through the same thing. But I handled it by taking one class and one semester at a time. I stop overloading my schedule, and I only joined organizations that I really enjoyed, which were a few. I concentrated on getting my degree, and doing well in class. Alexis K. Ellis
0

Col Sen’s Answer

0

Hello Luz,

Many of us do suffer from Stress, in fact almost everybody gets into stress numerous times in a day and overall cumulative stress takes one's toll. Stress comes from various issues like: work load, pressure of or financing your studies, job/internship/ examination and of course, sometimes due to strained relations, mismatch in expectation vis-a-vis what is in hand....and so on.

First and foremost, one has to identify what are the reasons of stress: is it work load/time related or work delivery, behavior of people? once you home onto that you have to answer yourself or seek help to address it to nip the stress at the bud. If you can do nothing about it then leave it .....time will take care of it. This is what is believed in India and people are much happier despite heavy odds, with so little....they are always happy. In fact happiness is not in 'having it' but by giving it or leaving it.

Remember, reasons for stress are external but it burns you internally so you have to make sure that the situations/reasons that attacks your mental peace is not allowed to grow internally. It can be done through self awareness: oh! I am getting anxious! Take two deep breaths, sip a bit of water and wash it down.

I used to get stressed every now and then, like got into traffic jam....what could I do, literally nothing but it added to my stress...OMG! I am getting late, what will happen to the meeting..or what my boss will think....and so on! But today, I say : jam...so what ......in any case ...I will still reach...may be late. I have missed flights due to airport traffic jams... I could miss the flight for any other reason over which I had no control..... but still was getting stressed as if I have done something wrong....ultimately what I gained....I got into a stress related illness....but I learned and took mid-course corrections..attended art of Happiness Course of Art of Living and moved up in life. Today I get stress but for a while and take couple of deep breaths and blow it away, trust me life is not the same but great.... I am happy without any stress related health problems.

To sum up I would quote some of the sayings/teachings of Art of Living Guru Sri Sri, which I followed :

1. I accept the situation as they are/were!
  2. I don't become football of others opinion!
  3. Always I try to be in the present moment. The moment you are conscious of present, worries/anger will go off.
  4. I just surrender/submit your all the problems to my Guru/Lord/nature (whomsoever, I believe), it goes away.
  5. I meditate min 20 minutes a day (morning -evening), may be more.
  6. I devote sometime in hobbies(listening to music and giving this kind of advice to people through this portal or over phone or skype....whatever).
  7. I do some Sewa/Social service and enjoy myself in devotional musical get together and sing/dance with peolple.
  8. I know now and remember that I am the source of happiness for others and my true nature is joy. Material/goodies are just toys, not the source of happiness.

Col Sen recommends the following next steps:

• you may refer : https://www.artofliving.org/node/8607
  • You may visit Art of Living center for Happiness Course in your city : 5261 120th Ave SE, Bellevue, Washington
  • You can seek further guidance from me on Stress and Time Management.
0