2 answers
Asked
156 views
How can I, as an athlete, utilize my time the best? #Fall25
I'm going into Psychology and am playing softball. I'm currently a senior in high school.
Login to comment
2 answers
Paul Goetzinger MPA
Academic and Career Advisor | Freelance Writer | TRIO Program Director
1113
Answers
Tacoma, Washington
Updated
Paul’s Answer
I had a few hurdles, when I initially went to college and also pursued athletics. But several things I learned included the following:
To be a successful college athlete, you must be able to balance your commitment to your sport with excellent academic performance by managing your time effectively.
This includes becoming proficient at utilizing campus resources, Many athletic programs have all kinds of educational resources to help athletes. This includes advisors, who specialize in helping the athletes get into the right classes and balancing those classes with competition and practice schedules.
These advisors also assist with setting clear goals for academics. If the athletes need help, they normally are provided access to tutors and other academic support staff, to assist with classes. So definitely utilize all the academic resources the athletic department has for you
You must also be willing to cultivate your leadership and teamwork skills.
This means being able to communicate with coaches and professors, take care of your physical health through consistent training and recovery, and manage your personal brand and reputation.
And definitely, make sure that you understand and meet your institution's academic requirements to maintain your athletic eligibility. I knew athletes, who did not track their progress or grades, and ultimately became ineligible during their tenure at the college that I attended.
To be a successful college athlete, you must be able to balance your commitment to your sport with excellent academic performance by managing your time effectively.
This includes becoming proficient at utilizing campus resources, Many athletic programs have all kinds of educational resources to help athletes. This includes advisors, who specialize in helping the athletes get into the right classes and balancing those classes with competition and practice schedules.
These advisors also assist with setting clear goals for academics. If the athletes need help, they normally are provided access to tutors and other academic support staff, to assist with classes. So definitely utilize all the academic resources the athletic department has for you
You must also be willing to cultivate your leadership and teamwork skills.
This means being able to communicate with coaches and professors, take care of your physical health through consistent training and recovery, and manage your personal brand and reputation.
And definitely, make sure that you understand and meet your institution's academic requirements to maintain your athletic eligibility. I knew athletes, who did not track their progress or grades, and ultimately became ineligible during their tenure at the college that I attended.
Updated
Ryan’s Answer
Hi there! Are you planning on playing in college? If so, what level? I played a sport at a D1 university and I can tell you it is certainly a full time commitment that can be tough to balance. However, it can be extremely rewarding.
I would say your best bet is to evaluate what is most important to you and then prioritize your time accordingly. Example: if you career in psychology in most important then ensure you spend enough time on the curriculum and exploring careers.
If you wanted to pursue a professional softball career then that can change things as well. Be honest with yourself in terms of self evaluating your abilities in the sport, but also believe in yourself! Best of luck to you.
I would say your best bet is to evaluate what is most important to you and then prioritize your time accordingly. Example: if you career in psychology in most important then ensure you spend enough time on the curriculum and exploring careers.
If you wanted to pursue a professional softball career then that can change things as well. Be honest with yourself in terms of self evaluating your abilities in the sport, but also believe in yourself! Best of luck to you.