Skip to main content
1 answer
3
Asked 187 views

Creative artists all around, do you get to live your dream?

Im in highschool and I want to make money off of art and share my stories but I have been too scared. Just want to make sure Im doing something stupid that could impact my life if it doesn't work out.


3

1 answer


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Josh’s Answer

Taking a leap of faith when you are concerned about unforeseen ramifications is exactly why you are likely posting the question. In reading your question, there's a concern about failing. That's natural and will probably drive you to not fail. However, I won't give you a cliche response of 'go for it' as I don't think that's really all that helpful.

My advice to you or anybody who wants to earn a living off their talent is to think beyond your direct contribution in the beginning. If you have a risk averse appetite, find a job that is tied to your . Work a job that produces for the industry/ skill you love. This way, you have steady income, you are tied to the industry/ tools/ services associated with your passion and you stay connected to the passion.

As time goes on, you'll learn more about art in some way. You'll talk to others who are interested in art, maybe other artists of their own, and the networking grows from there - either from future collaborators, potential customers, or industry contacts that help you land the next step towards your goal.

Scale up before 'just going for it'.

Example: I want to sell my art paintings.
- Who supplies the arts industry? Paint suppliers, blank canvasses, paint brushes, frames, supply stores, art galleries, non-profit orgs, museums, talent agents, etc.
- From those entities connected, what local job opportunities are there? I can work at the art museum or the local art shop.
- From the job I'm working, how can I connect to the industry even more? How can I start to share my story to the individuals I associate with (who are also likely art lovers too!).
- How do the companies involved give back to the community? Community art show? Swap meets? Online stores? Social media? How do I get myself included?

Hope this helps!
0