2 answers
Asked
196 views
What factors should I consider when choosing a career, like salary, education, work-life balance, or job opportunities?
I just don't want to go to more than 4 years in school.
Login to comment
2 answers
Updated
Aml’s Answer
If you know you don’t want more than 4 years of school, that’s a perfectly reasonable constraint. I’d use it to narrow your options rather than choosing a career based on salary alone.
I’d compare careers across these factors:
Education required — Can you become employable with a 2–4 year degree, or does the career require graduate school/licensing?
Starting salary + long-term earning potential — Don’t look only at the first salary; consider how income grows after 3–5 years.
Job demand — Are there actually enough openings, and is the field expected to remain relevant?
Work-life balance — Hours, stress, flexibility, weekends, and whether remote/hybrid work is realistic.
Daily work — This is often overlooked. Can you imagine doing the actual tasks for 5+ years?
Career growth — Is there a clear path to higher responsibility and better compensation?
Location & lifestyle — Some careers have far more opportunities in certain cities or countries.
Your strengths and interests — You don’t need to be passionate about your career, but you should be reasonably suited to the work.
I’d create a simple scorecard and rate each career from 1–5 across these categories. Then compare your top 3–5 options.
Most importantly, don’t optimize for salary while ignoring the work itself. A high-paying career you hate can be a worse choice than a slightly lower-paying career with strong demand, good work-life balance, and work you can actually tolerate or enjoy.
With your 4-year limit, I’d specifically prioritize careers where a bachelor’s degree (or less) is enough to enter the profession and where experience can increase your value afterward.
I’d compare careers across these factors:
Education required — Can you become employable with a 2–4 year degree, or does the career require graduate school/licensing?
Starting salary + long-term earning potential — Don’t look only at the first salary; consider how income grows after 3–5 years.
Job demand — Are there actually enough openings, and is the field expected to remain relevant?
Work-life balance — Hours, stress, flexibility, weekends, and whether remote/hybrid work is realistic.
Daily work — This is often overlooked. Can you imagine doing the actual tasks for 5+ years?
Career growth — Is there a clear path to higher responsibility and better compensation?
Location & lifestyle — Some careers have far more opportunities in certain cities or countries.
Your strengths and interests — You don’t need to be passionate about your career, but you should be reasonably suited to the work.
I’d create a simple scorecard and rate each career from 1–5 across these categories. Then compare your top 3–5 options.
Most importantly, don’t optimize for salary while ignoring the work itself. A high-paying career you hate can be a worse choice than a slightly lower-paying career with strong demand, good work-life balance, and work you can actually tolerate or enjoy.
With your 4-year limit, I’d specifically prioritize careers where a bachelor’s degree (or less) is enough to enter the profession and where experience can increase your value afterward.
Updated
Corrie’s Answer
Try to focus on something that keeps you interested without overwhelming you. Being flexible is really important. Don't stress about finding the "perfect" job; just look for what fits you best. If you enjoy working with people more than working alone, use that to find roles that make going to work enjoyable and less stressful.