What would my life look like as a film/video editor in the future How would I feel about working with teams and people in the future? What type of creative work would I be working on in the future??
I am currently a 19-year-old in community college. I am currently addicted to K-Pop. Anywhere, anytime (maybe I'm exaggerating). I started getting into K-Pop when LE SSERAFIM promoted their single 'Perfect Night' with the fps game, Overwatch. After I saw my friend had a photo of Hanni (NewJeans) in his phone case, I questioned K-Pop more and more and started to talk more with him about it. Then, I got into this deep dive into LE SSERAFIM with Blizzcon, a convention for the company Blizzard which owns Overwatch. I don't exactly remember, but I probably got caught up in all of their videos, songs, and fan-made compilations. And I'd say one thing I do on a daily-to-weekly basis is watch reaction videos to K-pop songs I like. I think that people like Roscoe and Jordan Orme have had an impact on my goals for the future. Learning that Roscoe is a director and how he views other directors' storytelling makes me learn a lot. Jordan Orme, a professional music video editor, has also influenced me. To make things clear, I want to become some sort of producer in the film industry. Whether it be directing (which I find is a lot of work, but interestingly important) or editing (which I love to do), I want to be a part of that community that brings stories to audiences through insane visuals on the screen and deep/hidden messages. This is my dream. A way that K-Pop has influenced that dream is through the directing and storytelling of music videos that I cannot get over such as 'Ditto' (Sides A & B) - NewJeans and 'OMG' - NewJeans.
1 answer
Juan Manuel’s Answer
QUESTION ONE: If you could edit a music video for LE SSERAFIM or NewJeans, what hidden visual metaphor (like the ones you admire in "Ditto" or "OMG") would you include to represent your own relationship with K-Pop and how it has changed your life?
QUESTION TWO: Imagine that, in the future, you are directing a short film about addiction to youth fandoms. What everyday object (such as a phone case or an Overwatch poster) would you use as a recurring symbol in the edit to depict the passage of time without falling into clichés?
QUESTION THREE: If your future self—now a professional editor—had to collaborate with a very traditional director who despises K-Pop, what creative strategy would you devise to convince him to include a sequence inspired by the aesthetics of "fan cams" or YouTube reaction videos, without him even noticing?