What is the percentage of women in the physical therapy career field?

4

Robin’s Answer

The latest data suggests that female physical therapists make up 68.5% of the field. It is also interesting to note that there is a disparity in pay with females making roughly $17,000 less than their male counterparts.

0

Anna’s Answer

My brother and sister-in-law both have made great careers in Physical Therapy. I cannot speak to the percentage of women or pay disparity (see Robin Bandura's answer). I will say that I believe it depends on where you choose to work and what type of physical therapy. My brother manages a center for a large group of physical therapy centers connected to a hospital group. My sister-in-law is a pediatric physical therapist in a hospital and is per diem. They both are very happy in their career choice and are both very successful.

0

Riley’s Answer

According to my research, women make up about 74% of physical therapists in the US.

0

Joanna’s Answer

Hi Wendy,

Great question! Although the percentages change each year, according to 2018 data found at https://datausa.io/profile/soc/physical-therapists, females make up about 68.5% (like Robin states above). I hope this helps!

Best of Health,

Joanna Chadd, DPT, CSCS

0