What is the most adequate study group size?
In college there are various group studies with all kinds of people, in your experience, what is the most adequate and effective way to study? what size group and where?
Oftentimes, professors or their TA's will offer group study sessions or office hours. I found these to be really helpful, especially because the professors and TA's know what material is most important for the test. Be sure to make use of these groups.
It's also great to get together with students in your same major (recommend groups of 3-4). This will help you build connections with students who will likely be in many classes with you throughout college, and will also be good connections when you're in the working world.
Lastly, I found that even when I needed silent study time, it was good to coordinate with a friend to keep me accountable. We'd go to the library quiet area and set a block of time (30 minutes) of uninterrupted study time. Then, we'd take a quick break with each other, and then get back to our studying. This helped me stay focused, but also felt a little more fun.
Katie recommends the following next steps:
You will need to focus on stress and time management. In order to manage stress you have to manage your time wisely. <span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>
<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>
<span style="background-color: transparent;">Here is how to be successful in them:</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">Stay on track - do assignments early, finish things a head of time, and be aware of all of your deadlines</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">do all the the assignments and read all of the coursework required- do not cut corners</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">use Google calendar to keep track of deadlines</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">communicate with your professor early if something comes up</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">do not be afraid to ask for an extension if you need one</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">study, and study a lot! you don't have regular class sessions so you will need to put in more work at home.</span>
- <span style="background-color: transparent;">Do your best and genuinely try hard to give it your all.</span>
The best way to score high on the test is to Google search an online program or book that will help you study. Once you find an online lesson plan for success you can use it as a road map for studying. Otherwise, find a book to help you study and spend 45 mins a night reading through it and studying. Depending on when you test is, the first thing you will want to do is organize a studying schedule for yourself. Target studying certain sections of the test and divide them up by the weeks/months you have until you have to take it.