What is it like to have a dorm mate?

3

Austin’s Answer

Isabelle, I have been waiting for someone to ask this question and I am so excited that you did. Having a roommate can be the absolute BEST or the absolute WORST experience of college, but it is one of the most important experiences that a person has. A roommate (dorm mate) can be your best friend, a study buddy, someone to talk to when you are down, and an all around great person...or they can be the opposite. I had a not so great roommate my first year of college and I am so grateful for it as it forced me to go out, explore, and make friends. Having a roommate is a pivotal college experience that will teach you a lot about yourself, what you like, what you don't like, and everything in between. Embrace the uncertainty of living with a random person as this uncertainty is frankly life. You're never really going to know what's around the corner in life, what matters most is to embrace this uncertainty with confidence, flexibility, and a positive attitude which will equip you with the necessary skills to artfully manage life as an adult.

0

Samantha’s Answer

I have had many roomies throughout my college career, all at random. If you have someone you want to room with I would suggest talking about how you expect living together going, it sounds silly but it will be the best way to make sure that living together is going to go smoothly. Another great tip I always tell people is to make sure that you have an open line of communication. Communicating with people, in any relationship, is a game changer. With open lines of communication you are able to figure out chores, commonly shared things and who can use what of the others. I wish you the best of luck!

0