3 answers
3 answers
Updated
Sarah’s Answer
Both can be rewarding careers, but they offer different experiences and opportunities.
Security is often a good way to gain experience. Depending on the role, you may protect people, property, or events, and it can provide flexible schedules while you decide what you want long term.
Law enforcement generally requires more training and carries greater responsibility. Officers serve their communities by enforcing laws, responding to emergencies, investigating incidents, and building relationships with the public. It can be a challenging but meaningful career for someone who enjoys helping others, staying calm under pressure, and making sound decisions.
Before deciding, I encourage you to talk with professionals in both fields and, if possible, participate in a ride-along or job shadowing opportunity. Ask them what they enjoy most, what challenges they face, and what they wish they had known before entering the profession. Seeing the work firsthand will help you determine which path aligns best with your strengths, values, and long-term goals.
Security is often a good way to gain experience. Depending on the role, you may protect people, property, or events, and it can provide flexible schedules while you decide what you want long term.
Law enforcement generally requires more training and carries greater responsibility. Officers serve their communities by enforcing laws, responding to emergencies, investigating incidents, and building relationships with the public. It can be a challenging but meaningful career for someone who enjoys helping others, staying calm under pressure, and making sound decisions.
Before deciding, I encourage you to talk with professionals in both fields and, if possible, participate in a ride-along or job shadowing opportunity. Ask them what they enjoy most, what challenges they face, and what they wish they had known before entering the profession. Seeing the work firsthand will help you determine which path aligns best with your strengths, values, and long-term goals.
Updated
Michael’s Answer
Justin,
The prior answers are right on point and I second those thoughts. I think the idea of law enforcement could possibly offer more opportunities depending on what your career choices are. For example, I know a young woman who became a member or big city police department. She was a patrol officer. From there, she had a choice to work within the organization to take on other jobs. She had an opportunity to be a detective but ultimately chose to go into a position within the police department that does community outreach. All the best!
Mike
The prior answers are right on point and I second those thoughts. I think the idea of law enforcement could possibly offer more opportunities depending on what your career choices are. For example, I know a young woman who became a member or big city police department. She was a patrol officer. From there, she had a choice to work within the organization to take on other jobs. She had an opportunity to be a detective but ultimately chose to go into a position within the police department that does community outreach. All the best!
Mike