What will make you stand out at a job interview?

39

Hey! I was just wondering what could make me stand out a little when I go to a job interview. Would it be something that I would say, something that I would do, or something else? Thank you! #business #medicine #teaching #law #technology #interviews #information-technology #customer-service

39

Dave’s Answer

3

I've interviewed a lot of candidates in my career and the ones who stood for me were the candidates who did their research on the company, did their research on me by checking out my LinkedIn profile, and did their research on the job they were pursuing.
A good recruiter will provide a candidate a written description of the role they're interviewing for, and a standout candidate is one who shows up for the interview with a thorough understanding of what the job entails. A standout candidate will go that extra mile by taking the time to ask me what the most pressing problems or opportunities are that exist in the organization, and describe what they will do to help solve the problems or capitalize on the opportunities. A standout candidate will have a 30, 60 , 90 day plan in mind for getting up to speed on the job once they are hired.
There are a few ideas for you. Best of luck in your career- go get 'em !

Thank you so much for your help, Mr. Ramanauskas! I appreciate all of the tips that you gave me, I will definitely keep them in mind at any job interviews that I go to! Angelina P.
3

Govardhan (Geo)’s Answer

2

There are few important things to remember always when you are going for a interview. Attire, Smile and confidence on your face and finally you should be good at your subject.
When you first step inside the interview room the interviewer looks at you before even interview starts. So your attire is important. You should look confident and greet interviewer with a smile to make yourself comfortable and the interviewer.
The most important part of your interview is when actually it starts. You should know very clearly about your strengths and how your strengths are going to help you in the job role and the company. Highlight your strengths briefly when you are describing about yourself how its going to help in the job you do.
Lastly know the job responsibilities and do research a lot before you attend any interview. Prepare yourself a lot don't take it easy as there are many smart charms out there trying to stand out from the crowd.
Always remember the time you are having fun somebody is practicing hard somewhere to stand on top of you.

Thanks for the answer! It was very helpful! Angelina P.
What Geo said is just right, not too much information and the information given is helpful. Gil Figueroa
2

Ripon’s Answer

2

Here are few unique ways to make your job interview stand out. Cue the curtain rise.

If you’ll be asked to problem-solve, consider bringing a drawing sheet and illustrating your approach.

During your prep, think of a “theme” that encompasses your career arc and skills. Then reference that theme throughout the interview.

Look out for small but impactful ways to make an impression, like helping an assistant make copies.

Got a group interview? These tips will make you the most memorable in the pack.

Tell a story to the hiring manager to get your own happy ending.

If you can, leave something behind so your interviewer has a physical memory of your meeting.

Don’t switch “off” from interview mode until you leave the parking lot.
It’s not curtain-call yet! Check out how to write a memorable thank-you card.

And finally, read up on the 10 most memorable (and not in a good way) interview moments.

Source :https://www.themuse.com/advice/10-ways-to-make-sure-the-interviewer-remembers-you-in-a-good-way

Thank you for your answer! Quick question: you recommended leaving something behind so that the interviewer has a physical memory. would you recommend bringing flowers or bakery, etc, or something else? Thanks again! Angelina P.
Its not necessary that it has to be an object . What i meant is an long lasting impression . Ripon Ghosh
Ohhh, thank you for clarifying that for me! I looked at the articles that you included, and I saw what you meant. Thanks! Angelina P.
2

Steven’s Answer

1
Great question here are my suggestions, remember this is how you sell yourself to the interviewer as a person.

1) Learn about the company you are interviewing for, easy to research on the internet. If you know someone there, get some info that you can share with the interviewer
2) Work on your speaking and communication style, you have to adapt to the interviewer to build trust and confidence. It's not about you it's about them.
3) Come to the interview with questions for the interviewer (what are the expectations of the me in the role, how do you see the person you hire for this role being successful, if this is the supervisor doing the hiring then ask them how they would like to be communicated with, what's good what's not so good,
4) Pay attention to the interviewers decorations, ask some questions at the right time or use it for initial conversation points until the interview starts
5) Sit forward on the edge of your chair
6) Maintain a comfortable eye contact
7) Dress better than they expect. Always go above and beyond expectations.
1

Janet’s Answer

1
Hi Angelina,

1) Your initial connection / first impression.
This link is great and I use all of these suggestions when I go to a new client. Especially #8 "Find a Connection"
https://www.themuse.com/advice/8-ways-to-make-a-great-first-impression-at-an-interview

2) Prepare two questions to ask at the end of the interview.
I went through a great round of interviews for a position once - in the end, they gave me the feedback that I didn't get the job because I didn't ask them questions, so they assumed I wouldn't ask good questions as I did the job.
This link has excellent options:
https://biginterview.com/blog/2011/08/best-questions-to-ask-end-interview.html
I recommend questions 7, 8 and 9.

Wish you the best!
Janet
#first-impressions #ending-the-job-interview
This was very helpful, thank you so much! Angelina P.
1

Mary’s Answer

1

The best thing to do is be prepared. Do your research on the company and ask questions based on what you learned about the company. Be excited about the job! Ask questions as the interview is also for you to decide if you would be a good fit. Use action verbs. Dress is important always dress in professional attire. Smile and be confident. If you want the job. Ask for it! Also be sure to send a thank you email highlighting your skills and indicating your desire for the position.

Those are all great ideas, thank you so much! Angelina P.
1

Cheryl’s Answer

1
Be excited & positive!
Do your research about the company you are interviewing with. You will be able to be more confident in answering their questions and can gear your answers to relate to their work environment and lingo.
Be authentic! .... having a smile on your face and a contradicting tone will not leave the impression you are hoping to leave with your interviewer.
Establish a connection with the interviewer.
Establishing a connection, whether it be you attended the same college or liking the same professional sports teams, anything that will allow you to have a genuine conversation to show the interviewer your personality and positivity.
Dress for the job and company. It is important to look the part you want the interviewer to hire you for.
Show up at least 10 minutes before your interview. You are interviewing for a job that needs you to be timely and prepared, show up to the interview that way .
Non verbal queues speak louder than verbal queues, practice good non verbal communication while practicing answering the common interview questions. ( I highly recommend looking over a book like 101 great answers to the toughest interview questions to help you prepare)

This article lays out some pretty basic points to help you get hired.
https://www.livecareer.com/resources/interviews/prep/job-interview-tips

Best Wishes to all!

1

Mia Bindesbøl’s Answer

0
One thing I learned, that really paid off:

Be who you are, and own it.

Only be and say what you stand for. Do not pretend that you can do or something that is not you. This will be transparent in the interview/personal test. Confident appliers will be more trustworthy.

#resume #job-interview
0

Dennis’s Answer

0
That's a good question, and one that I've often asked myself. Dress nicely for the interview just one step above what you expect to wear to the job . Best to keep it on the conservative side. Keep your resume 1 to 2 pages max, don't forget your goals and accomplishments along with your job history and education. Have it prepared professionally if you can. Let the interviewer guide the conversation. Be interested in what the interviewer says and don't worry if you can't answer everything. Stay positive, friendly, and interested. Don't worry if you don't get the job, just keep interviewing until you do. Best of luck to you.
0

Steve’s Answer

0
When it comes to interviewing we all get nervous! The best advice I can give you is to prepare in advance. Have a polished resume and a plan, bring them to the interview. Part of planning and getting prepared is to do your homework. Spend time researching the job and talking to those in position. You need to know the job before you know it is the right fit for both of you. Lastly, give it your best!
0

Parth’s Answer

0
In my opinion, the following approach helps you stand out in an interview. I am assuming that you are fully prepared with respect to your Resume and Technical questions.
1. Dress for success - You should be dressed very professionally. Follow business formals, if not, atleast business casuals.
2. Thoroughly prepare for behavioural questions - Lot of times these questions are ignored since we focus more on technical questions, however, you should be self aware of your strenghths and weaknesses before going into an interview. Interviewers want someone with whom they could work well.
3. Spend some time studying about the company - History, Business Model, Market Capitalization, Stock Price, Leadership etc. Talk to a person in the company and try to get insights on work culture, assessment system, etc. The interviewers like it when you study about not only the position you are applying to but also about the company.
0

Matt’s Answer

0
What would make you stand out in an interview?

Prepare concrete examples of instances when you have gone above and beyond. For example. problems you have found solutions to overcome, working with challenging colleagues. or taking initiative. Chances are you will be able to incorporate these example into your responses for various interview questions. Without concrete examples, interviewers are more likely to interpret your responses as generic, thus making you blend into the sea of other applicants.
0

Jason’s Answer

0
Some ways of making yourself stand out include confidence in yourself and your abilities in the relevant field you're applying for, as well as being prepared. Asking relevant questions about the company you're interviewing for shows that you're someone who does more than just show up and do the job. Don't be afraid to sell yourself, provide examples of projects you've led and how you have been successful in the past; give details of when you've made a difference at a previous employer.
0

Sadaf’s Answer

0

It is really important to have well-developed interpersonal skills and you should be able to present yourself very well.

Just becareful not to be overqualified for a position you are applying for and keep in mind that employers do not expect you to answer all the questions.

0

Muhammad’s Answer

0

A few key things which will stand you out during your interview are: 1- Your dress up, 2- Your confidence, 3-A good smile on your face. These are the things which will stand you out before you start your interview. During interview, apart from your technical knowledge, your knowledge/research about the company you are interviewing for will give you an edge. After the interview, always give a warm hand shake, show gratitude and thank the interviewer for the time (even if the interview was not good). Remember, its not only the technical knowledge which will make you win the interview, its a positive attitude which makes the path. And yes.... Not to be Over Confident at any time.

0

Cathy’s Answer

0
I've conducted a lot of interviews, mostly for leadership positions. The one major thing I look for in a perspective employee, is confidence. The first thing I look at is body language - one should be sitting upright (no slouching) and lean in to show interest of what is being said. Perception is reality meaning if you don't look engaged/interested, I'm assuming you aren't engaged/interested in the position. I am always looking for what the candidate has previously done him/herself - not a 'we' response. What initiatives they have taken on, issues he/she had and how they individually resolved those issues.
0

Nqabutho’s Answer

0
  • confidence
  • authenticity
  • being knowledgeable in the job that you are applying for
  • practical proven examples of your achievements, rather than a mere list
0

Katy’s Answer

0

Know your audience, research the interviewee and personalize your answers and questions to what is important to them.  Research and preparation show that you want the job and are interested in the next step. And if you want to move on ask to move on. Be confident but not egotistical and go after what you want.  

0

Surendra’s Answer

0
1. When you talk about your experience then just don't talk about what you did, instead talk about how you made a difference. For example, instead of saying I did software testing, say I simplifies test script template, improved tester efficiency and testing accuracy.
2. Be as specific as you can, and not beat around the bush. Be short and precise in your response.
3. Highlight your achievements in a way to differentiate yourself from other candidates.
0

Azra’s Answer

0
Being yourself and being confident is the best way to set a good impression! I made personalized business cards and exchanged that at the end of my interview. Always good to send a follow up email within 24 hours saying thank you and add a personal touch (something unique about your conversation) that way they remember you.
0

Sneha’s Answer

0

The most important things:
1) Be confident.
2) Be well prepared to support the experience mentioned in the resume along with some pretty strong real life examples.
3) Prepare well in the skills highlighted in the resume.

0

Hitesh’s Answer

0

You should attend the job interview with a positive frame of mind. Should reflect confidence in your voice and your body language. You should start the interview by giving greeting to the interviewer. Just acknowledge the interviewer's questions by giving verbal nod irrespective of whether you know the answer or not as it will give an impression to interviewer that you are a good listener. Prepare thoroughly for the technical part and ensure you have reviewed all job description and studied somewhat about company history.

Hitesh recommends the following next steps:

• Attend the job interview with a positive attitude and confidence in your voice. That also reflects with your body language
  • Be prepared with a decent knowledge about the company
  • Always acknowledge the interviewer's questions by giving verbal nod and then take time to answer them based on your experience/ knowledge
  • Be thoroughly prepared with the job description and ensure you have practical examples to share about the job duties you have disclosed in your resume. This gives good impression to the interviewer
0

Dawn’s Answer

0
The interview is your chance to shine. Your interviewer has already looked over your resume, so they know the basics. When they ask you to talk about your work history, that’s when you can elaborate and give more details about your accomplishments. Highlight the parts of your current job that you excel at and any major achievements you’ve had. If you’re transitioning into a new field, use the time to explain how your current experience ties in to the job you’re interviewing for.

0

Pallavi’s Answer

0
  1. Be humble
  2. Be honest - do not hesitate to share with the interviewer your shortfalls (if asked) or any negative experience, however, ensure to explain what you learnt from the experience and how you will work towards to make that a positive.
  3. How presentable you are - this broadly talks about your sense of dressing, confidence, the way to talk.
  4. Be precise - interviewers are expecting how well and short you can put your thoughts across. They do not want to hear a narration.
0

Addison’s Answer

0

Luckily, there are SO many ways that you can stand out during a job interview. I recommend starting by following up with your request for an interview if there is any lag time between you and the hiring manager during your initial communication. This shows that you really want the job and that you are also proactive. After you have secured the interview, make sure you dress the part. When in doubt, dress up. I always think it's better to be over-dressed than under dressed. Next, go in with a firm handshake when greeting your interviewer. Further to this, be direct, honest, and most importantly, show your knowledge and generally, don't be afraid to "toot your own horn." Obviously, don't go overboard, but definitely reinforce your knowledge on your subject matter and job qualifications. Be confident!

Confidence is the key for any interview . Debasmita Biswas
0

Audrey’s Answer

0
A few things that come to mind, 1) Knowing the business. It is always a good thing to know the business you are interviewing for. What is their goal, credo, how long have they been in business, etc. Doing your research shows that you are already invested in the company. 2) Be confidant. When you meet your interviewer shake their hand and make sure you are making eye contact. Confidence goes a long way, just make sure you stay humble as well.
0

Omani’s Answer

0
Hi Angelina. I know it can be scary and challenging going on interviews. Allow me to mention a few things that you may not find on typical Google searches.

-eat some potassium prior, for example a banana. This fruit stimulates the mind, gives energy and allows a state of calmness.

-sit at the edge of the sit, proper posture, yet relaxed as much as possible.

-smile as often as you can, sincere smiles, not forced.

-have a personal story you have overcame and relate it to your aim in being successful.

it's ok if you stumble, say your apologies and keep flowing. Remember they are humans and know we all make mistakes. Be honest, and think of ways that can stand you outside of the box. And I KNOW you will be successful! Ask prior of you can do some reconnaissance on the company prior in a office visit to understand company culture and values.
#studyunknownfactsofcompany #beunique #youaregreat #rememberthat
0

Lisa’s Answer

0
I've interviewed hundreds of candidates during my career, and these are top traits I look for when selecting a candidate.

1. Dress up for the occasion, even if the place you will be working has a casual dress code. That doesn't mean wearing a power suit, but make an effort to show you are professional and that this is important to you.

2. Focus your answers on what you will be bringing in as a candidate, rather than on why you are applying for the job. If you are applying so you can learn and grow or to earn more money, that is truly fantastic, but it doesn't help to sell YOU as the most desirable candidate. You can include what you'll get out of the job too, but it shouldn't be the focus.

3. Think up 10 questions you think you could be asked, and practice answering them. These should include some personal examples. It is one thing to tell me you are a 'self-starter', but using an example to describe how you've been a self-starter shows me you aren't just using a buzzword. Read up on the Star Method for interview questions.

4. If you use 'like' or 'um' frequently in your speech, try to eliminate them.

5. Lean forward in your chair, to show interest and engagement. Smile, and make eye contact as best as you can. You're awesome, and want the interviewers to see that.

6. Be very careful about any questions you may ask during the interview; this can be the kiss of death. Questions generally shouldn't be self-serving (how much will I make, what would be my schedule). Ask these when applying for the interview or when scheduling the interview if you must know them ahead of time. Questions also shouldn't be to ask what the job you'd be doing entails as this indicates you don't understand the role (for example, "What would I be doing as a Communication Specialist?"). Questions about something specific can be great (direction, strategy, etc) . It's also ok to say "I feel I understand the role very well and have no additional questions at this time".

7. Lastly, get pumped up before you go into an interview. Listen to an inspirational song, think positive thoughts, and be confident. You are awesome!
0

Marcela’s Answer

0
There are a few key things that you need to remember when going in for an interview.

1. Know what you are interviewing for, do the research. Take some time to look up the company you are about to interview for. What are they known for, what are some of the projects they currently have on the works, or even have they recently been on the news? Additionally, if you have the advantage of knowing who exactly is interviewing you, again do some research on who they are and what their position is.

2. Know your resume. Be prepare to talk about anything you mentioned on your resume and try to keep your resume to 1 page. Always bring printed copies.

3. Dress the part. When in doubt it is always better to dress more formally. First impressions matter.

4. Be up to date with current events. Your interviewer wants to know that you are an informed citizen. There are many websites that provide brief news on what is happening around the world (Ex: skimm).

5. Let the interviewer guide the conversation. Be engaging and interested in what he or she is saying and smile.

6. Finally BREATHE. Remember they are interviewing you because they liked what they saw on your application. Relax and be you and own who your are.
0

Candace’s Answer

0

Dress the part.  Be prepared - do your research on the company and/or person that you are interviewing with.  Know the key words and ideas within the area you are applying.  When in the interview, lean in, make eye contact, speak clearly, by honest.  When done, make sure to thank your interviewer by their name and end with a firm handshake.

0

Anthony’s Answer

0
Many good answers here. I have conducted a handful of interviews myself and I will chime in to emphasize CHARISMA. Be charming, friendly, sincere, confident, and present. The fact is you will be interviewed by a person and people have an unconscious bias to those they like the most. This added with some of the other answers here, you will be unstoppable.
0

Lory’s Answer

0
Hi ! Well, it's really a little of everything: what you say, what you do, and how you present yourself. Read up about the company you are applying for, and seem knowledgeable and authentically interested in the company's values, products, services, etc. Prepare and ask relevant questions. Be clear of your own strengths, and growth areas. be honest about what your growth areas are - and clearly outline how you mitigate for these, or are working on them. Consider taking a course or reading about how to have effective conversations, or interview skills. Good luck !
0

Sheila’s Answer

0

Hello Angelina:

I find that if you are prepared, confident and being yourself you're off to a good start. I agree with the previous posters and would like to provide you with an article I hope you find helpful. . . https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/11-unusual-ways-to-stand-out-in-a-job-interview/

I wish you much success on your journey. Don't forget to smile. :)

~ Sheila

0

Gaurav’s Answer

0
I have interviews many folks and here are few things which I feel are very important.

1) Get a good idea about the company or department for which you are giving interview.
2) If you know about interviewer , Please check his/her LinkedIn profile and get his specialization
3) Go through the job description and align your skills with the profile and try to highlight it
4) Give the answer with some real time examples.

0

Sneha’s Answer

0

Its the X factor. What else do you do in your life besides your main job? What other Ventures/Adventures are you embarking on in your personal life? Because people who live exciting lives naturally draw other people to them without having to try harder. And your confidence shows.

0

Vijay’s Answer

0
While, I think most of the important aspects have already been covered in terms of preparedness, dressing, confidence, body language, knowledge about the role/company you're applying for/to. I'd like to just add that be direct and honest in your answers and never try to bluff. It is much better to say No, or that you have not got a chance to work on something or you'd be happy to work on something new, than make up answers. Be courteous and thank your interviewer for his time. Asking questions about the role/company, makes your interest known to the interviewer.
0