116
Asked 9221 views

What will make you stand out at a job interview?

Hey! I was just wondering what could make me stand out a little when I go to a job interview. Would it be something that I would say, something that I would do, or something else? Thank you! #business #medicine #teaching #law #technology #interviews #information-technology #customer-service

116

11

Dave’s Answer

I've interviewed a lot of candidates in my career and the ones who stood for me were the candidates who did their research on the company, did their research on me by checking out my LinkedIn profile, and did their research on the job they were pursuing.
A good recruiter will provide a candidate a written description of the role they're interviewing for, and a standout candidate is one who shows up for the interview with a thorough understanding of what the job entails. A standout candidate will go that extra mile by taking the time to ask me what the most pressing problems or opportunities are that exist in the organization, and describe what they will do to help solve the problems or capitalize on the opportunities. A standout candidate will have a 30, 60 , 90 day plan in mind for getting up to speed on the job once they are hired.
There are a few ideas for you. Best of luck in your career- go get 'em !

Thank you comment icon Thanks for the advice. Samuel
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for your help, Mr. Ramanauskas! I appreciate all of the tips that you gave me, I will definitely keep them in mind at any job interviews that I go to! Angelina
11
7

Steven’s Answer

Great question here are my suggestions, remember this is how you sell yourself to the interviewer as a person.

1) Learn about the company you are interviewing for, easy to research on the internet. If you know someone there, get some info that you can share with the interviewer
2) Work on your speaking and communication style, you have to adapt to the interviewer to build trust and confidence. It's not about you it's about them.
3) Come to the interview with questions for the interviewer (what are the expectations of the me in the role, how do you see the person you hire for this role being successful, if this is the supervisor doing the hiring then ask them how they would like to be communicated with, what's good what's not so good,
4) Pay attention to the interviewers decorations, ask some questions at the right time or use it for initial conversation points until the interview starts
5) Sit forward on the edge of your chair
6) Maintain a comfortable eye contact
7) Dress better than they expect. Always go above and beyond expectations.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for giving me advice. Samuel
7
4

Cheryl’s Answer

Be excited & positive!
Do your research about the company you are interviewing with. You will be able to be more confident in answering their questions and can gear your answers to relate to their work environment and lingo.
Be authentic! .... having a smile on your face and a contradicting tone will not leave the impression you are hoping to leave with your interviewer.
Establish a connection with the interviewer.
Establishing a connection, whether it be you attended the same college or liking the same professional sports teams, anything that will allow you to have a genuine conversation to show the interviewer your personality and positivity.
Dress for the job and company. It is important to look the part you want the interviewer to hire you for.
Show up at least 10 minutes before your interview. You are interviewing for a job that needs you to be timely and prepared, show up to the interview that way .
Non verbal queues speak louder than verbal queues, practice good non verbal communication while practicing answering the common interview questions. ( I highly recommend looking over a book like 101 great answers to the toughest interview questions to help you prepare)

This article lays out some pretty basic points to help you get hired.
https://www.livecareer.com/resources/interviews/prep/job-interview-tips

Best Wishes to all!

Thank you comment icon I appreciate this, thank you for the advice. Samuel
4
2

Govardhan (Geo)’s Answer

There are few important things to remember always when you are going for a interview. Attire, Smile and confidence on your face and finally you should be good at your subject.
When you first step inside the interview room the interviewer looks at you before even interview starts. So your attire is important. You should look confident and greet interviewer with a smile to make yourself comfortable and the interviewer.
The most important part of your interview is when actually it starts. You should know very clearly about your strengths and how your strengths are going to help you in the job role and the company. Highlight your strengths briefly when you are describing about yourself how its going to help in the job you do.
Lastly know the job responsibilities and do research a lot before you attend any interview. Prepare yourself a lot don't take it easy as there are many smart charms out there trying to stand out from the crowd.
Always remember the time you are having fun somebody is practicing hard somewhere to stand on top of you.

Thank you comment icon Thanks for the answer! It was very helpful! Angelina
Thank you comment icon What Geo said is just right, not too much information and the information given is helpful. Gil Figueroa
2
2

Ripon’s Answer

Here are few unique ways to make your job interview stand out. Cue the curtain rise.

If you’ll be asked to problem-solve, consider bringing a drawing sheet and illustrating your approach.

During your prep, think of a “theme” that encompasses your career arc and skills. Then reference that theme throughout the interview.

Look out for small but impactful ways to make an impression, like helping an assistant make copies.

Got a group interview? These tips will make you the most memorable in the pack.

Tell a story to the hiring manager to get your own happy ending.

If you can, leave something behind so your interviewer has a physical memory of your meeting.

Don’t switch “off” from interview mode until you leave the parking lot.
It’s not curtain-call yet! Check out how to write a memorable thank-you card.

And finally, read up on the 10 most memorable (and not in a good way) interview moments.

Source :https://www.themuse.com/advice/10-ways-to-make-sure-the-interviewer-remembers-you-in-a-good-way

Thank you comment icon You rock! This advice is very helpful. Samuel
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your answer! Quick question: you recommended leaving something behind so that the interviewer has a physical memory. would you recommend bringing flowers or bakery, etc, or something else? Thanks again! Angelina
Thank you comment icon Its not necessary that it has to be an object . What i meant is an long lasting impression . Ripon Ghosh
Thank you comment icon Ohhh, thank you for clarifying that for me! I looked at the articles that you included, and I saw what you meant. Thanks! Angelina
2
1

Anne’s Answer

Great question! When you begin your job search, take the time to think about the expertise that you possess, education that you completed, experience that you have and activities that you love to do. The more that you "fit" the job, the easier that it will be to stand out. For example, I have worked in the consumer tech industry in marketing for many years. When I joined Verizon, I had many things to talk about that made me stand out during the interview. Also, take the time to make a list of how your experience aligns with the job requirements before you start the interviewing process. Many first interviews are over the phone, so you can keep the list in front of you to remind you of the accomplishments as the interviewer is asking you questions. This will make you comfortable during the interview process. Also, practice answering questions concisely (to the point). Employers are looking for people who are comfortable communicating on the phone and in written communication.
Thank you comment icon Thank you, Anne for the advice. Samuel
1
1

Jasanpreet Kaur’s Answer

Hi Angelina,

Standing out at a job interview involves showcasing your unique skills, experiences, and personality. Highlight your achievements, demonstrate your enthusiasm for the role, and make a memorable impression by showing genuine interest in the company and asking thoughtful questions. Additionally, demonstrating how you can bring value and solve problems for the organization will help you stand out from other candidates.

Hope it helps!
All the best!
1
1

Chirayu’s Answer

Here are a few things that can make you stand out during a job interview:

Researching the company and the position beforehand can demonstrate your interest in the role and your ability to take initiative. Show how your skills and experience align with the specific requirements of the job. Use concrete examples from your past experiences to demonstrate your skills and achievements. Express your excitement about the opportunity to work for the company and the role you are applying for.Show your interest in the company and the role by asking thoughtful, well-researched questions. Speak clearly and confidently, it will show your ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas. Dress appropriately, arrive on time, and conduct yourself in a professional manner. Show how your skills and experience can help the company achieve its goals and objectives. Remember that being yourself is important, and being honest and transparent about your qualifications, experience, and career aspirations is crucial. Additionally, your body language, nonverbal cues, and attitude play a big role in how you come across during an interview.
Thank you comment icon Thanks for your encouragement! Samuel
1
1

Lucie’s Answer

Outch, job interviews are tough! But the hardest part is really to actually get one in my opinion!
First of all dress for the job you want, without a tuxedo, dress the part.
Second, in my opinion what everyone looks into a good candidate/good interview is someone who is concise, doesn't lose his train of thoughts, to the point, good story teller, etc.

To stand out, despite the many answers you already got, I would say:
#1 Match job posting and resume
Highlight the different part of the job posting and match it to your resume. Use maybe a few different highlighters to really distinguish the different skillset required. This will be make it easier for you to speak about what has not been highlighted (because it will come up!)

#2 Look out for the obvious
Look for the obvious questions you will be asked: Experience, gap in resume, etc. Be prepared to respond to these questions with a well prepared answer. It might be a way for you to shine.

#3 Work on story telling
A good story needs to be down to the point and follow a path of development. Don't get lost into rabbit holes and other tangent, look into the narrative and make sure it is one where you stand out.

#4 Prepare and Practice make Perfect
There will be obvious questions about your resume, also, there will be the questions we are all expecting: Tell me about yourself, what are some of your qualities, what do you like about our company, why do you want to work here, etc.?
It will vary per the role and industry but all the questions you will have will be in some sort of the same flavor from one interview to the next.
Then rehearse, under the shower, in front of the mirror, with friends, family, etc. The more you repeat your stories the more they will come naturally and when a question you have not prepared for arise you should be more relaxed to answer.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Thank you comment icon Thank you, Lucie for the advice. Samuel
1
1

Janet’s Answer

Hi Angelina,

1) Your initial connection / first impression.
This link is great and I use all of these suggestions when I go to a new client. Especially #8 "Find a Connection"
https://www.themuse.com/advice/8-ways-to-make-a-great-first-impression-at-an-interview

2) Prepare two questions to ask at the end of the interview.
I went through a great round of interviews for a position once - in the end, they gave me the feedback that I didn't get the job because I didn't ask them questions, so they assumed I wouldn't ask good questions as I did the job.
This link has excellent options:
https://biginterview.com/blog/2011/08/best-questions-to-ask-end-interview.html
I recommend questions 7, 8 and 9.

Wish you the best!
Janet
first-impressions ending-the-job-interview
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the advice, Janet. Samuel
Thank you comment icon This was very helpful, thank you so much! Angelina
1
1

Mary’s Answer

The best thing to do is be prepared. Do your research on the company and ask questions based on what you learned about the company. Be excited about the job! Ask questions as the interview is also for you to decide if you would be a good fit. Use action verbs. Dress is important always dress in professional attire. Smile and be confident. If you want the job. Ask for it! Also be sure to send a thank you email highlighting your skills and indicating your desire for the position.

Thank you comment icon Your advice was so helpful! Samuel
Thank you comment icon Those are all great ideas, thank you so much! Angelina
1
0

Jay’s Answer

Angelina,

The three things that always stand out most to me when people are interviewing for roles are really not fancy or out of this world. I trust my recruiters to vet a candidates experience, so I am really looking for a few things:

1. Interest in the role. This seems like a no-brainer, but do your research on the specific role and come prepared with questions. I always remember the candidates who ask very pointed questions about the role and who are able to tie my responses back to their experience.

2. Interest in me and my team. Usually, I am interviewing people for roles reporting to me or on one of my teams. I want to find a candidate who cares about the team they work on and can express the type of manager they work best with. Remember that you are interviewing the manager as well as them interviewing you.

3. Interest in the company. Why do you want to work at that specific company and in that specific role. Come prepared to ask about the culture, and reflect on how that will fit with you and your values.

At the end of the day, the people who are the most successful (in my experience) are those who love working for the company, on the team, and in the area they are focused on. When you find that combination, the "work" part of your career becomes simple!

0
0

Marcela’s Answer

There are a few key things that you need to remember when going in for an interview.

1. Know what you are interviewing for, do the research. Take some time to look up the company you are about to interview for. What are they known for, what are some of the projects they currently have on the works, or even have they recently been on the news? Additionally, if you have the advantage of knowing who exactly is interviewing you, again do some research on who they are and what their position is.

2. Know your resume. Be prepare to talk about anything you mentioned on your resume and try to keep your resume to 1 page. Always bring printed copies.

3. Dress the part. When in doubt it is always better to dress more formally. First impressions matter.

4. Be up to date with current events. Your interviewer wants to know that you are an informed citizen. There are many websites that provide brief news on what is happening around the world (Ex: skimm).

5. Let the interviewer guide the conversation. Be engaging and interested in what he or she is saying and smile.

6. Finally BREATHE. Remember they are interviewing you because they liked what they saw on your application. Relax and be you and own who your are.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for taking the time to help. Samuel
0
0

Vic’s Answer

My number one thing has always been to network with those at the firm before hand to field out all the elementary questions and conduct the exploratory phase of seeing if you want to work there (in a lower risk environment). By doing that you will gain knowledge on things at the firm that might not be on the company website, get a better idea of good questions to ask in the actual interview and overall come more prepared/ confident in convincing your interviewer that you know what you're getting yourself into and why you are the best candidate for it.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for the advice. Samuel
0
0