If you were your own manager for one day, what would you change?

38

If you were in charge of the department you work in for one day, what would you do differently? Would it be something with the actual work you do, or the place you work in?
Thanks for your time!
#career-choice #change-management #project-management #professional-training #computer-software #healthcare #law #information-technology #telecommunications

38

Chaimaa’s Answer

2
It is more common than not to find managers that are too hierarchy-centered, i.e set extreme boundaries between themselves and their teams. This creates a wedge between these latter, affecting the working environment and hence the firm's productivity levels. A work relationship built on transparency and trust, however, adds to the comfort of both managers and their teams.
That in mind, what I would do if I were a manager for a day is to sit my entire team and have a genuine, hierarchy-less conversation to figure out the general mood of the workplace. Honest questions will bring forward honest answers, which would then lead to honest change in our working environment. A day's worth of complete transparency might then lead to an overall better productivity levels and pleasant workplace.

That is an excellent point, thank you so much! Angelina P.
I would have an employee appreciation day once a month. I find that appreciation goes along way toward high performance. At the end of the month, as a manager I would recognize top performers to the team and also award them in some way. A few minutes offline time, opportunities for theme to share best practices, or employee spotlights throughout the industry. Bobby Lee
2

Joanne’s Answer

2
To be honest, I would keep it simple and have an 'early dismissal with pay' for all.

A simple act of kindness to show appreciation for a staff is well worth it.
Thank you! Angelina P.
Dear Angelina, I would like to reward failures. The social stigma around failures puts unnecessary pressure on one and all. I would like to set the mission statement as "Do your best and don't worry about the outcomes". Essentially, don't be too obsessed about the end goal. It is how you approach it is what matters. Good luck. Ashwath Ashwath Kannan
2

Sam’s Answer

2
If I could change anything at all, it would be to instill in members of the department the underlying reasons for why we're all doing the work we're doing. It's very easy to forget the purposes for the work that we do in the day-to-day; I think that happens in any industry or line of work.
Great point, thank you! Angelina P.
2

Lisanne’s Answer

1
Nice question.

I wouldn't change that much. I really like the department where I am working. We have lots of flexibility, for instance: it doesn't matter how or where you do your job, most important is that you do you job when people expect you to do something.

But since I am a manager for only one day, I will treat on cake or so :)
Cake is always good! :) Thanks for your answer! Angelina P.
1

Carole’s Answer

1
I have experienced this in one of my jobs as manager. I was asked to move into a different department because of my background in Career Counseling. It was quite a different experience, but I was able to contribute some of my ideas to make it a little better working environment. These are some of the things that I did :
1. I had interviews with the people that were under my management and got to know what skills they had and what experience and interests they have within this company. I interviewed them individually and got a wealth of information from each person and used many ideas to help the center run more smoothly. Some of the employees got to actually work at what they really liked to do.
2. The second idea that I had was to put readable signs in places that they could be seen by the visitors that entered the Career Center.
3. I made an introduction paper that each visitor got when they entered the center knew about all the options that we offer and who they should see or make an appointment with.
4. The one thing that was hard for me to do was to let someone go because they were not doing what they were supposed to be doing. In this instance it was the fact that this employee was always late for work and the excuses were wide spread. This person had trouble with being on time and was written up several times for this. This employee was soon gone from the company.
5. When the receptionist was gone to lunch or otherwise, we had our staff take turns to help with the front desk because someone had to answer questions. So we all had a workshop to teach everyone in the company how to run the front desk when the receptionist is away from the desk.

Some of what I changed was actual work related and other ideas that I had were to use the personalities that were present at work and try and put each person in a situation that they could use their interests and feel like they are contributing to the flow of the office and the betterment of the people that they are talking to.

I hope this gives you some answer for you to think when managing people in the workplace. Sometimes you can find information about management within a class situation, or a business management book, or using some experiences that you have had and that were favorable to you. Managing people is not an easy job, so the more you know about the people you are managing the better able you are to help them and the company run well.
Thank you so much for your answer! It seems you really improved your workplace. Thanks again! Angelina P.
1

Susan’s Answer

1
Great question I strongly believe culture is everything if you have a great team culture the numbers will follow. I would continue to build on the strong culture that we already have. I would make sure that everyone's vision is the same so we can grow and develop together as one
Your answer is great Susan, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera COACH
1

R. Scott’s Answer

1
Listening and acknowledging the effort and importance of what each individual is working on for the Company.
Thank you for answering, Mr. Sanders! I appreciate it. Angelina P.
1

1
I too work at a career center. We currently have a goal of getting clients back to work within ten weeks, but the focus is on giving them job referrals, with little help in making them "job-ready." I would implement a process that shifts the focus away from how many job referrals we give to our clients. Instead, I would have a "gate-keeper" tasked with reviewing each resume, and making sure it is a GOOD resume, rather than just "acceptable," before case managers could give job referrals to the client.

Great question!
That is good advice, thank you so much! Angelina P.
1

Chris’s Answer

1
You should not have to be your own boss/manager to be looking to grow and improve. Honest self critique / assessment is and should be a part of every person's development process. I am always looking to grow and improve. The hard part is being honest with yourself and taking action on areas you identify.
That is an excellent point, Mr. Kohlun ,thank you! Angelina P.
1

Mary Ellen’s Answer

0

Some of the best business discussions that I have had with my team mates are held outside of the office. A different environment can help to break down walls and allow the conversation to be more free flowing. A coffee shop or even a walk in a park can also help you to shift your perspective on things. If I were my own manager for the day, I would encourage my team to meet together outside of the office and connect, discuss and respectively debate those things that our top of mind and also those things that need to be addressed.

Mary Ellen recommends the following next steps:

• Think about where you would hold your "outside" team meeting!
0

0

make time for a one on one... talk about feelings; and then remind myself to act as my own manager in my career and in my life.

0

Cindie’s Answer

0
Hi Angelina. Today, I am not a direct manager of people. I have been in the past...I think the largest group I've had responsibility for is about 50; the most direct reports about 15 to 20. When I reflect on what I would have done different when I was a direct manager of people, I think the main thing is to plan more when meeting with them one on one and then follow up on the conversations we've had to ensure progress or resolution. People who report to you look to you for direction and/or affirmation of the direction that they are taking and their results. People want to perform and they need to know what is important to you and the business you both represent.
0

Deleaisa’s Answer

0

If i were my own manager i would make every day fun and productive at the same time. Everyone would enjoy coming to work.

0

Alyson’s Answer

0
If I were a manager of a department I would ensure we have clarity in all roles and expectations - often times we can get stuck in a mentality of 'that is not my job' or 'someone else will take care of it'. Clearly defined roles and expectations help everyone set goals.
0

0

I have been a manager for a fast food company, and so have learned some great ways to help the day go by smoothly. To relate it to my current profession, I would visualize before my shift started, what I wanted to accomplish for the day, and then plan how I would do that. Once in the office, set the plan in motion, and be sure to include everyone. I would throw in some "trivia games" to keep the day light, and be sure to praise the team throughout the day for the great job they are doing. When the day is over, log the successes and opportunities, so that the rest of the week, month, year, can go smoothly.

0

Tammy’s Answer

0
I would try and do 6 things:

1. Communicate - I would be engaged and involved in day-to-day activites
2. Be Positive - When something goes wrong, I would try and weave in some positivity. Learning from your own mistakes is critical for success.
3. Be Honest - I would do what I said I would do. If I couldn't... go back to #1.
4. Set Goals - I would set clear expectation and provide the tools for success.
5. Show Support - I would encourage career development and keep them engaged in the industry.
6. Reward - I would let employees know their work is appreciated and keep them informed of the positive impacts of their work.
0

Jen’s Answer

0
Hello;

I am currently in a leadership position and have served in a supervisory capacity for 20 years in a very dynamic industry. With having only one day in the scenerio, I would focus on getting to know my employees through asking thought-provoking questions about who they are, what functions that they support, how they meet the needs of their customers and where they see their own career progessing. Investing in your employees is one of the most important things you can do and will have the largest impact to your teams overall success. Building these relationships establishes trust - and when it's time to delivery on an objective, they will be there to achieve! Lastly, I would reach out to a few of their customers to get performance feedback regarding areas that they are doing well in - and finish with a personal THANK YOU to each employee.
0

Mechelle’s Answer

0
Hi Angelina,

Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. I truly have the one of the best managers I have ever worked with. We started as co-workers, and over time he was promoted to take over the leadership role over our team. I say team, but we are more like a family. He empowers, encourages, and supports us in every way. I am proud to be on his team. The only thing that I would do is make more managers like him! :-)
0

Donna’s Answer

0
Get to know my people for who they are. I would take some time and get out on the floor and mingle with the people who work for me. Shake hands, bump elbows or high five. Ask how they are doing, listen to understand. Later in the day do something kind that they will leave the office with at end of day. Whether it's buying a coffee, cookies or offering an extra break. Or maybe lollipops for the kids they mentioned they had or a bone for their dog. Just to show I was listening. Small gestures of kindness move mountains.
0

Tammy’s Answer

0
I would try and do 6 things:

0

KRISTY’s Answer

0

Honestly, I do not believe real changes happen overnight and actually stick. Most people do not like change. In the workplace, most employees actually resist change. Therefore, it takes much time to work through the root cause of the problem, buy-in from employees and stakeholders, a team of experts to determine a solution, testing to ensure there are no negative impacts to business before you implement the changes, and monitoring the solution to confirm that you achieved the goals desired. One day is not realistic enough for the long term solutions needed in a successful business.       

0

TV’s Answer

0

Let me first start by saying that a Managerial role is pretty hectic, in the sense, it involves having a wide plethora of skills like people-management, time-management, budgeting experience, foresight etc.

If ever I become a manager for a day, I would ensure that there is a cohesion within the team, because the company's and my success lies in theirs. Also, I would reach out to them personally to know their challenges and grievances if any and start working towards fixing that.

0

Carey’s Answer

0
I really like the team I work on so I would not change much. I would work on streamlining communications from one team to the next. For example information coming from headquarters, to my team then out to the front lines.
0

Jennifer’s Answer

0
I would allow for more work life balance, remote work options.
0

Josiah’s Answer

0
I would offer quick, direct feedback. Highlight the great things my team does so they know to continue doing them, and then provide quick and short areas of opportunity. The positive feedback makes people feel valuable and the constructive feedback helps motivate them to continue forward in pursuit of future goals.
0

Sammy’s Answer

0

The main thing is to change myself before changing others. I will make sure that everyday I go to work with a very humble and positive attitude, being a good listener, and open minded. Always encouraging others instead of criticizing. That way, it will position myself as one of the best team players, and loved by others.

0

Kennimarie’s Answer

0

If I were my own manager I would allow my subordinates to submit and work through suggestions to improve work functions they complete.  I have found that the best people to streamline and improve the work are the people actually completing the task.  Often in business there is a breakdown because changes are made without considering the people that do the work.

0

Sam’s Answer

0
Implement and promote telecommuting and/or consolidated work week. We currently do not offer either and I believe this would help not only the employees, but benefit company and most of all the environment.
0

Nicole’s Answer

0
Standardise procedures, introduce templates, bring clarity into roles and responsibilities. Finally, communicate this to all employees, colleges and stakeholders.
0

Rosalinda’s Answer

0

If I was manager for myself, I would allow collaboration with outside area to help maintain information accurate and available to everyone within the departments.  Also making it easier to allocate work or assistance.

0

Madison’s Answer

0

I would ask for more feedback from my team

0

Micaela’s Answer

0

In my experience, a good manager leads by example. He/She should be willing to do any job expected of their staff or work alongside of them when needed. Also, and effective manager empowers the team to do their jobs by setting expectations and trusting the team to meet and hopefully exceed those expectations while being there for guidance and support when needed.

0

Pamela’s Answer

0

Create a supportive and trusting environment for the team.   Be open and honest.

0

Preeti Jose’s Answer

0
A great Question! I actually love the team I am part of at Cisco and we have a great leadership. But if I was made the manager/leader I would ensure everyone in my organization is mapped to a role/function where they can play to their Strengths every day at work, what energizes them at work. It may mean to move people from one function to another but at least that way everyone would love to do what they do and find what strengthens them and what they look forward to.
0

Ryan’s Answer

0

I would work on changing the culture. Showing appreciation for employees and letting them know they are what makes the company we work for great.

That is an excellent point, it is so important to make sure your employees know they are appreciated and wanted. Thank you for your answer! Angelina P.
0

Gail Peter’s Answer

0

Lead by example and be caring to your team.  We all have goals and projects to complete, but taking that extra 10 minutes to be human means a lot to morale.

0

Tiffany’s Answer

0
One of the biggest motivators is being shown appreciation. I would ensure my team knows I appreciate them by calling out the things they are doing well and when tasks are done in a timely manner. A pat on the back goes a long way and showing that to your employee and the team is good for morale.
0