66
Asked 33245 views

If you were your own manager for one day, what would you change?

If you were in charge of the department you work in for one day, what would you do differently? Would it be something with the actual work you do, or the place you work in?
Thanks for your time!
#career-choice #change-management #project-management #professional-training #computer-software #healthcare #law #information-technology #telecommunications

66

10

Sam’s Answer

If I could change anything at all, it would be to instill in members of the department the underlying reasons for why we're all doing the work we're doing. It's very easy to forget the purposes for the work that we do in the day-to-day; I think that happens in any industry or line of work.
Thank you comment icon Great point, thank you! Angelina
10
4

Susan’s Answer

Great question I strongly believe culture is everything if you have a great team culture the numbers will follow. I would continue to build on the strong culture that we already have. I would make sure that everyone's vision is the same so we can grow and develop together as one
Thank you comment icon Your answer is great Susan, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera, Admin COACH
Thank you comment icon I believe culture is one of the most important things to get right with an organization. I’d spend the day doing some team-building activities. Melissa White
4
3

Chaimaa’s Answer

It is more common than not to find managers that are too hierarchy-centered, i.e set extreme boundaries between themselves and their teams. This creates a wedge between these latter, affecting the working environment and hence the firm's productivity levels. A work relationship built on transparency and trust, however, adds to the comfort of both managers and their teams.
That in mind, what I would do if I were a manager for a day is to sit my entire team and have a genuine, hierarchy-less conversation to figure out the general mood of the workplace. Honest questions will bring forward honest answers, which would then lead to honest change in our working environment. A day's worth of complete transparency might then lead to an overall better productivity levels and pleasant workplace.

Thank you comment icon That is an excellent point, thank you so much! Angelina
Thank you comment icon I would have an employee appreciation day once a month. I find that appreciation goes along way toward high performance. At the end of the month, as a manager I would recognize top performers to the team and also award them in some way. A few minutes offline time, opportunities for theme to share best practices, or employee spotlights throughout the industry. Bobby Lee
3
3

R. Scott’s Answer

Listening and acknowledging the effort and importance of what each individual is working on for the Company.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for answering, Mr. Sanders! I appreciate it. Angelina
3
2

Cindie’s Answer

Hi Angelina. Today, I am not a direct manager of people. I have been in the past...I think the largest group I've had responsibility for is about 50; the most direct reports about 15 to 20. When I reflect on what I would have done different when I was a direct manager of people, I think the main thing is to plan more when meeting with them one on one and then follow up on the conversations we've had to ensure progress or resolution. People who report to you look to you for direction and/or affirmation of the direction that they are taking and their results. People want to perform and they need to know what is important to you and the business you both represent.
2
2

Joanne’s Answer

To be honest, I would keep it simple and have an 'early dismissal with pay' for all.

A simple act of kindness to show appreciation for a staff is well worth it.
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Angelina
Thank you comment icon Dear Angelina, I would like to reward failures. The social stigma around failures puts unnecessary pressure on one and all. I would like to set the mission statement as "Do your best and don't worry about the outcomes". Essentially, don't be too obsessed about the end goal. It is how you approach it is what matters. Good luck. Ashwath Ashwath Kannan
2
1

I too work at a career center. We currently have a goal of getting clients back to work within ten weeks, but the focus is on giving them job referrals, with little help in making them "job-ready." I would implement a process that shifts the focus away from how many job referrals we give to our clients. Instead, I would have a "gate-keeper" tasked with reviewing each resume, and making sure it is a GOOD resume, rather than just "acceptable," before case managers could give job referrals to the client.

Great question!
Thank you comment icon That is good advice, thank you so much! Angelina
1
1

Chirayu’s Answer

If in charge, one might focus on improving workplace morale, productivity, and efficiency by implementing strategies such as:
-Encouraging open communication and collaboration
-Implementing flexible work arrangements
-Recognizing and rewarding employee contributions
-Providing training and development opportunities
-Improving office infrastructure and technology.
1
1

Carole’s Answer

I have experienced this in one of my jobs as manager. I was asked to move into a different department because of my background in Career Counseling. It was quite a different experience, but I was able to contribute some of my ideas to make it a little better working environment. These are some of the things that I did :
1. I had interviews with the people that were under my management and got to know what skills they had and what experience and interests they have within this company. I interviewed them individually and got a wealth of information from each person and used many ideas to help the center run more smoothly. Some of the employees got to actually work at what they really liked to do.
2. The second idea that I had was to put readable signs in places that they could be seen by the visitors that entered the Career Center.
3. I made an introduction paper that each visitor got when they entered the center knew about all the options that we offer and who they should see or make an appointment with.
4. The one thing that was hard for me to do was to let someone go because they were not doing what they were supposed to be doing. In this instance it was the fact that this employee was always late for work and the excuses were wide spread. This person had trouble with being on time and was written up several times for this. This employee was soon gone from the company.
5. When the receptionist was gone to lunch or otherwise, we had our staff take turns to help with the front desk because someone had to answer questions. So we all had a workshop to teach everyone in the company how to run the front desk when the receptionist is away from the desk.

Some of what I changed was actual work related and other ideas that I had were to use the personalities that were present at work and try and put each person in a situation that they could use their interests and feel like they are contributing to the flow of the office and the betterment of the people that they are talking to.

I hope this gives you some answer for you to think when managing people in the workplace. Sometimes you can find information about management within a class situation, or a business management book, or using some experiences that you have had and that were favorable to you. Managing people is not an easy job, so the more you know about the people you are managing the better able you are to help them and the company run well.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for your answer! It seems you really improved your workplace. Thanks again! Angelina
1
1

Lisanne’s Answer

Nice question.

I wouldn't change that much. I really like the department where I am working. We have lots of flexibility, for instance: it doesn't matter how or where you do your job, most important is that you do you job when people expect you to do something.

But since I am a manager for only one day, I will treat on cake or so :)
Thank you comment icon Cake is always good! :) Thanks for your answer! Angelina
1
0

Dee’s Answer

If I were a manager I would find the red tape stuff that ties up productivity and get rid of those red tape items. So many issues impact productivity and just seem silly at times. I would take time to identify them and get in contact with those that control the issues and find a way to resolve or eliminate.
0
0

Alyson’s Answer

If I were a manager of a department I would ensure we have clarity in all roles and expectations - often times we can get stuck in a mentality of 'that is not my job' or 'someone else will take care of it'. Clearly defined roles and expectations help everyone set goals.
0
0

Barbara’s Answer

I would proactively engage the 'worker bees' for their candidate feedback on our processes. Giving those a voice that are actually doing the work daily, asking them what they love, what they don't and what they would like changed. Also giving them a platform to voice any ideas they have on how to change things to make us more efficient, more productive yet more happy in organization.
0
0

Joyal’s Answer

Well i have been fortunate to have great managers till now.
Here are couple of values which i would surely stress:

1) Empathy- Understanding the struggles of your reportees, stepping in their shoes
2) Listening- One needs to realize they are never the smartest person in the room, listening could help learn a lot.
0
0

Dan’s Answer

I would ask myself to set time and days for one on one opportunities without interruption twice a month. Typically leaders spend too much of their time with bottom and top performers which leaves the majority of the team on their own.
0
0