What are some good questions to ask the interviewer to get a better understanding of the company you work for

Updated Los Angeles, California

to prepare yourself for the interview and look more prepared #computer-software #computer #management #university #accounting #marketing-and-advertising #job-application

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

I believe asking the interviewer about their journey and understanding why they work for the company is a great way to learn about the company.

Charles M’s Answer

Updated Greenville, Texas

Abbas,

Let me make sure I understand what you are asking.

You said "What are some good questions to ask the interviewer to get a better understanding of the company you work for. to prepare yourself for the interview and look more prepared."

I'm assuming the interviewer is working for the company you want to understand better. is that correct? One interpretation of your question is that you want to "get a better understanding of the company you [Abbas] wants to work for" Another interpretation of your question is that you want to "get a better understanding of the company the interviewer works for".

So you want to know more about the company that you are applying for a job at, is that correct?

First of all, if you are interviewing for a job at a company, you will have wanted to do your homework and learned as much about the company as you can by researching it.

When you are looking at the company web site, you want to ask yourself a few questions. Who are the company's customers? What industries are the customer's in? What problems do they have, that the company you are investigating provides solutions for? What are the solutions the company provides to it's customers?

how did the company get started? how is the company divided up? where are the major locations are

Big companies usually have several large divisions with different products and different customers. So you want to make sure you understand the division of the company that the interviewer is representing.

Example: Toyota sells cars and trucks. But they also have a division that sells money to people who want to buy cars and trucks (Toyota Financial). You don't want to be prepared for an interview with the division that sells cars, when you are actually talking with the division that makes car loans.

The important thing to ask is a question that shows you have done your homework and researched as much as you can about the company. If you can ask them about news releases you have found on their web site, or something you have read in the news about the company, that is good. If you have not already uncovered it by looking on the web site, ask them about their quality policy and how they make sure they are meeting the needs of their customers? if you don't already know, ask them about special programs they have for new college hires. If the web site does not tell you, ask what they do to treat their employees right. Ask them about what they are doing to attract the kinds of employees they want to hire. Ask them why it's better to work for them than for their competitors?

hope those questions help

Sarah’s Answer

Updated Bracknell, England, United Kingdom

To add to some great answers above, I would ask what the interviewer thinks about the company culture and values - I find that working for a company that reflects your own principles makes it easier to be loyal and hard-working. For me, ethics are very important as well as an emphasis on people development and flexibility. Something I didn't realise when I joined my company was that the option to move around different business groups and functions would turn out to be a key reason for staying with the company so perhaps think a few steps ahead of the job you are going for - what would progression look like? Would you be able to move around to gain experience? How is the company viewed within the industry? Good luck with your career.

Jordan’s Answer

Updated Woodbridge Township, New Jersey

Having been someone who has interviewed a very large number of people I have been asked a great deal of questions. Below are a few of my favorites, as I feel they show you have a genuine interest and are committed to long term goals:

1. What is the company's mission statement?
  2. What are the current goals of the company/department?
  3. What do you feel are traits that fit best in the environment you work in?

Honestly, any time an candidate has well thoughtout questions, it shows interest and I remember them. Do some research, know the company/position you are walking into the interview for. Show them that you are genuinely interested by being engaged and I am sure you will do well!

moises’s Answer

Updated Grapevine, Texas

The one thing I remember that helped me get into the company I'm today was that I did my research of the company and the product I was interviewing for. I searched the web and found quite a bit of information. When I when into the interviews, it really did help me. I could relate to the interviewers and they were willing to share even more information.

Shante’s Answer

Updated Hartford, Connecticut

Hi Abbas, I think to give more insight on your question, would be to do some research on the company prior to the interview. Know the Founder, President/CEO, as much information as possible in the event you are asked questions, but also so you can let the interviewer know that you have knowledge regarding the company and things you want have better clarification on. All the advice provided above is great and you should think about what field or industry you want to be in. Pick a career that is versatile and you are compelled to stay in that field forever.

Alexandra’s Answer

Sure, there are many questions you can ask the interviewer. Your questions should focus on the strategy/future of the company and on the expectations for your role. Here are some examples:

1. What is the company's strategy for the next 5 years? Is the company growing?
  2. What is the path to promotion?
  3. Do people work with teams and collaborate?
  4. What are the main groups/departments within the company and how do they interact?
  5. What is the company culture like?
  6. To what extent will I have contact with clients in my role?
  7. Does the company have a mentoring system/program?
  8. What is the annual review process like?

Davor’s Answer

Updated Kent, Washington

Typical questions to ask: How does a typical day look like? How does the company balance the work/life balance? How does continuing education work?

Abgour’s Answer

Updated Haverhill, Massachusetts

Abbas, you have asked a very good question. You should know that curious candidates tend to have a better impression than those who ask no questions during job interviews. Unfortunately, lots of job seekers focus more on answering that they forget to prepare good questions for the employer too. Posing your questions during the interview does not only show that you possess the qualifications needed for the position, but it’ll help clarify a lot of ambiguities that might rise up after you get the job, such as if this is an organization you really want to be a part of. In order to ask the right question, a painstaking research is necessary so that you can understand what the company does and what its future projects are, it will show that you are in the conversation too and that the interview is not a one way street. There are several right questions you can ask; for instance, ask about the team you will be working with. The way you ask the question assumes you will get the job. Do not forget to ask about the trainings they offer and their onboarding process. Personally, I like asking about plans of growth and if the environment offers an evolving context for its employees. This particular question shows that you are looking for prosperity within that company. Also, do not hesitate to ask questions regarding who previously held the position. Although it may seem unnecessary, but this direct question will help you have an idea about if the workers within that organization are happy or not (got promoted, fired, resigned, etc.). I wish you a very good luck.