How Many NAHQ CPHQ Practice Questions Should I Solve Before the Exam?
I am starting my NAHQ CPHQ exam preparation and I am confused about how many CPHQ practice questions I should solve before I book the real exam. Some people say a few hundred is enough, others say I need to solve many more.
For those who have already taken the NAHQ CPHQ exam, how many CPHQ exam questions did you practice before you felt ready? Did you first solve CPHQ questions topic by topic, or did you go straight to full-length practice tests?
I also want to know what kind of NAHQ CPHQ study material worked best for you.I have used Udemy before for other courses, but while preparing for the CPHQ exam, I also came across Pass4Success as a resource for CPHQ exam questions.Did you use practice tests from platforms like these, or only books and notes? I am not sure if I should use something like that or only free materials.
My main worry is wasting time on low-quality CPHQ exam questions that do not match the real exam. If you had to start again, how would you plan your practice to pass the CPHQ exam on the first attempt?
1 answer
Aaron’s Answer
Make sure to review each question you get wrong. Write down why the right answer is correct and why the wrong ones are not. This helps you recognize incorrect options in the future. Many who pass the exam on the first try do so after answering several hundred well-chosen questions (between 400 and 1,000) and reviewing the explanations thoroughly. The key is how well you understand the material, not just repetition.
Suggested study approach:
1. Study by topic or domain. Focus on one area at a time, then practice questions related to it. Pay extra attention to the domains of Performance & Process Improvement and Health Data Analytics, as they carry more weight.
2. Take full-length timed practice tests. This helps you manage your time and focus on accuracy. Once you're confident in specific areas, try 140-question simulations under real exam conditions to build endurance and apply concepts in scenarios.
3. Keep an error log. For each mistake, note down the concept, why the right answer is correct, and why the others are wrong. This helps you spot incorrect options more easily. Review your weak areas until you improve. Deeply reviewing mistakes is more beneficial than doing more questions.
Best study materials:
- Use official NAHQ resources as they closely match the real exam.
- HQ Solutions: Resource for the Healthcare Quality Professional (official textbook).
- Comprehensive CPHQ Pre-Test (140 questions with detailed rationales and domain scoring).
- A helpful supplement is the Mometrix study guide and practice tests. These are often harder than the real exam, which can help you over-prepare.
Be cautious with practice-test courses unless they have strong, recent reviews. Some sites like Pass4Success might have outdated or incorrect questions. Stick to official NAHQ materials and a trusted secondary source like Mometrix to avoid wasting time.
Simple plan for success:
1. Download the free CPHQ Candidate Handbook and Detailed Content Outline from NAHQ to understand the domains and their importance.
2. Use HQ Solutions and the official Comprehensive Pre-Test as core resources.
3. Add Mometrix for extra practice if needed.
4. Study for 6–12 weeks, depending on your experience: review domains, practice questions, take full-length tests, focus on weak areas, then do final simulations.
5. Schedule the exam when you consistently score in the mid-to-high 70s on realistic practice tests with no major gaps.
Focus on understanding and applying core concepts (like PDSA, Lean/Six Sigma, control charts, RCA vs. FMEA, Just Culture, survey readiness, and data interpretation) rather than just memorizing. The exam rewards those who think like a quality professional.
Use high-quality materials, emphasize thorough review over volume, and you'll be well-prepared to pass on your first attempt.